[Support request] primary nav in footer

Home Forums Support [Support request] primary nav in footer

Home Forums Support primary nav in footer

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Marcel

Hi, there.

I am having lots of fun setting up a website with GeneratePress Premium.
    I’m quite sure that I read the answer to my question at a certain point in one of the support-threads, but I didn’t bookmark it and now I simply cannot find it anymore….
    My question is:

Is there ANY way to place the primary menu (including the search button) inside the footer-area instead of somewhere around the top of the page?

Thanks a lot.

Marcel

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Marcel,

You can add a Custom Menu widget and a Search widget in one of the Footer Widgets area in Dashboard > Appearance Widget.

Let me know if this helps.

Marcel

Hi Leo,

I’ve already tried that. It did not quite satisfy my ambitious eye…
    You know, when arranged inline in the primary navigation, search-button on the far right, the menu looks exactely the way I like it.
    I just want to put that horizontal bar in the footer-bar (sorry for not describing that precisely in my
    initial question).

I am aiming for an appearance with fixed header and fixed footer-bar (already managed that with the hooks add-on). The content (blog posts, fully shown) is scrolled through between those two areas.
    I intend to attach two images with their bottom to the top-edge of the footer-bar (one to the far left, one to the far right of the screen – another challenge I have not yet mastered), so the contend seems to scroll up from behind those ‘foreground’-images.
    The footer-bar with those two images graphically becomes the ‘center of gravity’ – so I’d like to have my 4 links (and that nice and tiny magnifying-glass-search-button) down-there as well.

I hope my description is understandable as the site is not yet online and I therefore am not able to SHOW you, what the heck I’m talking about, here….

Thanks for giving it a try, anyway!

Marcel

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Have you tried adding the Custom Menu widget in the new Footer Bar widget area? Then it should be inline?

Definitely not easy to picture what you are after. A screenshot or examples from other sites maybe helpful ๐Ÿ™‚

Marcel

I did.
    It’s okay. But the search-button was missing.

How can I send you a screenshot?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

You can upload it to https://postimage.io/ and post the direct link here.

Marcel
    Marcel

Thw primary menu is visible at the top of the page.
    The menu inside the footer-bar lacks the search-icon.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

If you want to move the actual primary navigation, you can do this:

add_action('after_setup_theme','tu_move_navigation');
    function tu_move_navigation()
    {
          remove_action( 'generate_after_header', 'generate_add_navigation_after_header', 5 );
          add_action( 'generate_before_footer', 'generate_add_navigation_after_header', 5 );
    }

This assumes your primary navigation is set to the below the header in the Customizer.

Marcel

Hi, Tom.
    That looks very much like the snippet I found (and lost again) earlier in the support-forum.

I don’t have the slightest idea, where to insert it, though.
    Just getting started with WordPress. Sorry.

Marcel

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Marcel

I created a snippet using the code snippets plugin.
    Doesn’t seem to have changed anything though.
    Do I have to clear the footer-bar first?

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Just tested the code and it’s working for me.

Shouldn’t matter if you have existing content in footer bar already.

Is the Navigation Location set to Below Header in Customizer > Layout > Primary Navigation?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Make sure the code snippet is actually activated.

Then make sure your primary navigation is set to Below Header.

Lyle

Just to jump in here regarding Code Snippets. The “Save Changes” button is what got me the first time using it; nothing seemed to change when I clicked it. Then I read the button beside it … “Save Changes and Activate” …. that’s the one to click ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.