[Resolved] Primary menu disappears on mobile when off canvas activated

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Primary menu disappears on mobile when off canvas activated

Home Forums Support Primary menu disappears on mobile when off canvas activated

• This topic has 10 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by David.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    cigilovic

Hi there, me again! ๐Ÿ™‚

I have tried to activate off-canvas menu while still using the primary menu. Set it up all, but on mobile view, I can not see the primary menu.

I use Autoptimize and WP Fastest cache, cleared cache and minimized files many times but doesn’t work for me.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1r808eohr0BJMGMl5MAYCi3eX4DVmO-yK/view?usp=sharing

Is there a workaround for this?

Thank you

Osman

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Doesn’t look like the off canvas is activated currently.

Can you activate it so I can see the issue?

Thanks ๐Ÿ™‚

cigilovic

Hi Leo,

Thanks for your reply. Yeah, I had left it unactivated since it wouldn’t show up.

Now I have activated off-canvas and chosen of it in the layout section as my 2nd menu.

Desktop and Tablet are both OK, but when I choose mobile, there’s only off-canvas now. Since over 50% of my visitors are on smartphones this means they can not see the primary navigation.

Can you please check?

Thank you

Kind regards

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

In Appearance > Menus – Edit the Menu you have set to Display as your Primary Menu, under Display location also check Off Canvas Menu

cigilovic

Hi David,

I’m afraid this is not a solution.

I have already set it up as advised. I’m almost 100% sure there’s something wrong with it.

My primary menu and off-canvas have been all set up and pointed to correct locations.

And on my website, you can see I have the primary menu and off-canvas active visible.

But the problem is that when I shrink down the view to smartphone level, the primary menu disappears.

I went through them again, published and cleared the cache but doesn’t work.

Thanks

cigilovic

I have tried disabling my caching plugins, tried going through all the menu and layout options, cleared browser cache.

I’m afraid it doesn’t work, it only display off-canvas on smartphones. There’s no primary navigation. :/

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

aah ok – when you enable Off Canvas and include Mobile it replaces the normal primary navigation mobile menu.

What you could do is:

1. Remove the the Menu from the Off Canvas.
    2. Then in Appearance > Widgets add a Navigation Menu to your Off Canvas and select the correct menu.
    3. Now add your Primary Menu to the Off Canvas as well.

The off canvas will now display your 2 menus. Then we can add some CSS to hide the Primary menu within the Off Canvas on Desktop:

@media (min-width: 769px) {
        .slideout-navigation .slideout-menu {
            display: none;
        }
    }
    cigilovic

Thanks David, but this is overly complicated. So I basically have to recreate all my primary menu items for off-canvas as well manually.

And when I added my primary menu to off-canvas one, the items don’t look like menu items but plain links.

I think I’m fed up with that man sorry. Spent hours on this trying, but way too overly complicated.

This was one of the reason I went for premium :/

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sorry to hear that.

You should not need multiple menus.
    You can assign a Menu to the Primary Menu and the Off Canvas Menu.

And i can take a look at the menu items looking like plain links (?) if you want.

Let me know.

cigilovic

Hi David,

What I understand from the instructions you provided is that I am able to add multiple menus. So in this case, I can add both primary menu and another menu to off-canvas while also having my primary menu.

So when I have a mobile user, the page will shrink and they will be left with an off-canvas menu which contains my primary and another menu. That’d solve my problem. But this doesn’t allow me to add 2 menus.

Can you please check? I think the instruction is wrong. Also, just a criticism, this should be a very basic feature. Promoting multiple menus on premium version but limiting usage of them doesn’t really make sense Kinda misleading to me.

Thanks

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

My approach for Mobile – based on your current setup of Primary and Secondary navs – would be:

1. Primary navigation set Display Location to: Primary Menu and Off Canvas Menu.
    2. Secondary navigation set Display Location as is, and then add it to the Off Canvas Menu as a Navigation Widget.

This means there are only two menus to maintain.

It may take a little CSS to tweak things which we’re happy to provide.

Sorry if you feel its misleading – its not our intention and the three Navigation locations and the various options provide what most users require. But your comments and feedback are something we will take on board.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.