[Resolved] Post's date of the post and author only at the end of the post.

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Post's date of the post and author only at the end of the post.

Home Forums Support Post's date of the post and author only at the end of the post.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Enrico

Hi Tom,
    I have two problems with the add-on Blog Content. I would like to have the post’s date and the author in the post, but not in the Masonory.

1) Exactly I would like to have the post’s date of creation and the author only at the end of the post, I use it this way now, mainly for copyright reason. Is it possible?

2) If I disable the date, the author and the categories of the post in the Blog Content add-on, this will remove the date of the post, authors and categories?
    Or only hide them?

I don’t want to remove them but only hide them.

Especially category are very important for my site. I could hide them from posts content but not from google index. Instead, I don’t “send” to index authors and date archives but I keep them.

This is my site with the old free Theme.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

1. To move everything to below your post, this should help: http://generatepress.com/forums/topic/author-category-tags-in-one-block/#post-86350

2. For now, it hides them. However, I’m working on having it remove them completely. Google doesn’t like when you hide things from users but keep them for SEO reasons.

Enrico

1) I will try to add the code in the php file. But this code will not remove the author and the date for the “Masonory view” of the posts.

Is it possible to have these informations only in posts but not in the “Masonory view” of the posts?
    Do you think is ok with Google to remove it only in “Masonory preview?

2) If you covert hide to remove completely dates, authors and category, probably you will create problems to people that use this data in a different way.

For example, I have created a category menu in each page or post and I could consider not have the category of the post in each post, do you think this could be a problem for Google?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

1. I don’t think Google cares much about stuff like this, they just don’t like obvious malicious intent.

To hide this stuff on masonry, you can do this:

.masonry-post .entry-meta {
          display: none;
    }

2. I agree, for now I’m going to continue to hide it only – users can always overwrite the function to remove them completely.

I don’t think that will be a problem for Google – they just don’t like obviously sneaky tactics, which these aren’t πŸ™‚

Enrico

I tested until today and it worked perfectly. But at the end I decided to keep the date at beginning of the post.

I have seen that this solution is the most used and, when is possible, I don’t want to have extra php code in the child theme.

Thanks a lot for the help!
    Enrico

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem! πŸ™‚

Russell

Hi Tom,
    I’d like to be able to move both the date and the author of a blog to the bottom, rather than directly underneath the title. Maybe along side (or just above) where the categories are now? For our purposes, we want the reader’s focus to stay on the topic being presented. Removing the date & author from immediately underneath the main title, allows for the presentation of a secondary (and even a third level) title that move this space from simple presenting a headline, to presenting a holistic though theme. Yeah, we know. That’s a bit deep. But our a/b testing is showing that it’s drawing in readers.

Is there any way to maintain SEO goals/rules and give the option for ‘bottom’ to Customize > Blog > Blog Content > Date (and Author)?

If so, please consider this a request to do so.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

This is something I can see myself adding to the Customizer.

For now, it should be quite easy with some code:

add_action( 'after_setup_theme','tu_footer_entry_meta' );
    function tu_footer_entry_meta() {
        remove_action( 'generate_after_entry_title', 'generate_post_meta' );
        add_action( 'generate_after_entry_content', 'generate_post_meta', 5 );
    }
    Russell

Thanks. I tried adding the new code both in Appearance > Simple CSS and the Simple CSS at the bottom of the blog page’s edit screen. Neither moved the author’s name nor the date. Where should I add the code listed above?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You can use these instructions: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-php/

Russell

Thanks Tom Β» I’m grateful for both the code and the instructions of what to do with it. Yet another example of the great job you are doing!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad I could help! πŸ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.