[Support request] Poster Image for Home Page Video

Home Forums Support [Support request] Poster Image for Home Page Video

Home Forums Support Poster Image for Home Page Video

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Linda

Hi Support,

Can you give me a little more specific direction on how to make a poster image for our home page video? I’ve read a post and response from Tom about it, but found the information a bit too technical to follow: shortcodes or HTML code.

Apparently, if I don’t set a specific image, the first screen will function as the poster image. That’s what I’m trying to do.

I can handle HTML and/or shortcodes as long as the “how to” and “where to put it” are explained.

Thanks for your guidance, as always!

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

What do you mean by “Poster image on home page”?

Let me know 🙂

Linda

Hi Leo,

Thanks for getting back to me.

What I mean relates to the video on the draft site home page.

The poster image is the screen that shows while the site is loading. Right now, it’s just a black screen with the video arrow in it. I’d like to have the first screen show instead since it is the title of the video: Selling is Simple.

Apparently this first screen will show if I don’t select a poster image (at bottom of image block on right side of edit screen). BUT it involves HTML code and that’s where I get uncertain.

Hope this makes sense. I’m closing down shortly until tomorrow so don’t worry about getting back to me in your usual super responsive manner!! 😉

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Apparently this first screen will show if I don’t select a poster image (at bottom of image block on right side of edit screen). BUT it involves HTML code and that’s where I get uncertain.

I’m not sure where you are reading this but this would be more of a question for WordPress’ support.

Wouldn’t be simpler to take a screenshot of that first screen and upload it as the poster image?

Linda

Hi again, Leo,

Thanks for your suggestion. If I did I screenshot, wouldn’t it cover the video so a user couldn’t play it? Or maybe I’m misunderstanding the “how” of this.

Here’s what I read in a forum reply from Tom (#642517), which is what I was referring to:
    Have you tried using the video shortcode?:
    https://codex.wordpress.org/Video_Shortcode

It allows you to set a poster.

Otherwise you’ll need to set the poster inside the actual <video> HTML: https://www.w3schools.com/tags/att_video_poster.asp

When you set a post format other than “Standard”, the post will show the full content (in order to display HTML).

I wasn’t sure how to do what Tom suggested or where to put it, which is why I contacted you.

Does this help? Or is this all better handled in a WordPress forum?

Thanks for your help, as always,

Linda

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

if you’re using the video shortcode then you would include the poster image within the shortcode parameters eg. poster="image-url" this would be added after the src parameter in the shortcode.

Linda

Hi David,

Thanks, but you’ve lost me, sorry.:(

I uploaded our video using Gutenberg video block. How/where would I put in the shortcode? Usually don’t they go on a blank page or post? Or at least that’s the only ways I’ve used them before.

Linda

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

If you’re using a local video file ( ie. not YouTube / Vimeo or other served videos ) to a gutenberg Video Block then there is an option to add a Post Image in the Settings Sidebar when you have the video block selected.

Linda

Yes, David, that’s exactly what I’m trying to do! Apologies for not being clearer.

That’s where I got stuck. I now realize I made something complicated out of something very simple! When I saw “poster image” in that block, I immediately went to your forum and searched, resulting in Tom’s post, which got me flying down the wrong track!

Thanks for getting me back on the right – and simple! – track. I’ve created an image, uploaded it and just like that, the poster image fronts the video. Double DUH.

Gratefully,

Linda

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad we could be of help

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.