[Support request] Post to Post Navigation

Home Forums Support [Support request] Post to Post Navigation

Home Forums Support Post to Post Navigation

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    William

Struggling to figure out how to display simple previous and next post-to-post links on each post within a category. I watched the video, Block Element Post Navigation Demo, and tried to follow along but it does much more than I want and I got lost near the end; minor differences in GUI, etc. All I’m really looking for is a simple ← Previous Post … Next Post → within a category. Text links are fine. Something like that appears at the bottom of my post pages. Since my site is a series of travelogues I want the reader to move easily to the next or previous post.

I see that there are plugins that purport to provide the functionality but was under the impression that there is a facility to do so within GP. I’d prefer to remain native.

Thanks.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi William,

So what’s the difficulties you are running into?

Can you link us to your post page where we can see the implanted post navigation?

William

Unfortunately, this site is localhost for development.

As it is I have no post navigation. I was under the impression there was a built-in provision that I could use without getting in to without having to create elements but, if there is, I am unable to find it.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

As it is I have no post navigation. I was under the impression there was a built-in provision that I could use without getting in to without having to create elements but, if there is, I am unable to find it.

You can activate the default post navigation at customizer > layout > blog > content > single, check the Display post navigation box.

If you want to build it with style, there’re pre-built templates in block element - post navigation for you to quick start:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/6ScueYAOR

If you want the previous/next link goes to the posts within same category, you can do so by toggle the In same term option:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/NmhS0o80JSFk

William

Thanks.

Created the element using the “Two columns with arrows template. Seems to work correctly, placing links after the content. “In same term option” works correctly.

Is there a way to duplicate for before the content?

Fernando
    Customer Support

Hi William,

You can create a New Block Element – Post Navigation. Then, use the same template, and set the In same term option. Then, set the Hook name to before_do_template_part.

Example: https://share.getcloudapp.com/d5u97ovE

Hope this clarifies. 🙂

William

Thanks!

Got it set up and working correctly. The site’s looking and working as I visualized.

I will touch up the styling a bit and still have a ton of content to finish moving over from a few hundred old, hand-coded pages I’m replacing along with a thousand or so images to link … but that’s just grunt work.

I’m obviously a babe in the woods with this stuff and struggle, mainly, to understand the terminology and structural concepts that accompanies website technology.

I continue to be impressed with GP support and am thankful for my choice to buy into Generate Press a number of years ago.

Bill Stine

Fernando
    Customer Support

You’re welcome William! Sorry for the late response. Was out the past few weeks due to a personal matter. We’re glad to be of assistance and feel free to reach out anytime you’ll need assistance with anything else! 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.