[Support request] Post Image In Column Format

Home Forums Support [Support request] Post Image In Column Format

Home Forums Support Post Image In Column Format

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bobby

Hi Tom,

I’m using the two column format with the sidebar on the right side. I’m trying to resize the post images on the homepage to a smaller size. I’m trying to get it to display 350×160, but it keeps showing 500×500, which is the oringinal image size that was uploaded in the single post page. I used the customizer add-on and set the post image height and width, but the homepage keep ignoring those settings and keep the images at 500×500. Also, I’m trying to make the post titles sit below the image, but the homepage keeps the title on top of the image. I also set that up in the customizer, but it keeps ignoring that setting.

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm that’s strange.

Can you show me a screenshot of your options and link me to your site possibly?

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Bobby

Hey Tom,

I think I found out what the problem was….when I first set up the theme format, I uploaded sample post in the traditional blog format…sidebar-content-sidebar…I did not set a feature image. Then, before deleting that customization, I switched to the column format. So the homepage in the column format was still pulling the original image size from the sidebar-content-sidebar blog format..even though I changed the image sizes in the post image add-on. So to fix it, I deleted the old blog customization, started fresh with a new two column format, uploaded new post with a feature image set and now its working as far as changing the image size.

Ok, now here’s my problem. I’m testing out this theme on a new fresh demo site, but I need to use this theme on an old -existing site which has over 8,000 post. Here’s the kicker, on my existing site with the 8,000 post, I never used a feature image for each post….the theme always pulled the first image and used it for the feature image.

So if this theme will only show the post images on the homepage with a feature post image set, this will not work on my existing site unless i find a plugin that will bulk pull all the first images and use them as the feature images. (I’m guessing)

Another problem, if i do this method, I will then have double images on the single post page…the feature image and first post image.

My question is…….

Is there a way to use a wordpress filter or something on this theme to make the homepage first look for a feature image, but if one is not set, automatically pull the first image of each post and use it for the feature image?

Also, if you do not have a solution to fix this specific feature image problem, what would be the best method to go about removing the double images on the single post page…I’m thinking maybe using CSS and just “display:none” to remove the feature image.

What do you think?

demo site: http://nutrientscoop.com

Thanks,

demo site: http://nutrientscoop.com

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Definitely a tough one.

If you Google “WordPress first image as featured image” you’ll find some options.

This is one of them: https://wordpress.org/plugins/get-first-image-set-as-featured-image/

However, that’s a lot of posts, so I would definitely run some tests on a dev site before committing to the big site. I would also take full backups.

Then you can remove the featured image from the single post in “Customize > Layout > Page Header”.

Hope this helps ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.