[Resolved] Popular or recent posts grid for home page

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Popular or recent posts grid for home page

Home Forums Support Popular or recent posts grid for home page

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Zad

Hi,

I’m trying to create a popular posts or recent posts grid for my homepage but don’t know how to do so. Sort of like a slideshow of the most recent posts published on the blog. This would have to be underneath the header but I’m not sure if there are any widgets or anything I can include and I don’t seem to see any options in the customizer.

There is an option for column posts, but they are only for the archive page, whereas I’m trying to include this in the home page.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

It doesn’t have carousel (yet) by i use WP Show Posts to display recent posts. You can add the list shortcode to GP Hooks to have them display on all pages.

https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-show-posts/

Alternatively their are a lot of post plugins on WP org that can be added using shortcodes in GP hooks.

Zad

Oh nice! Tom made it! THanks!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yep which means i can highly recommend it! Let me know how you get on.

David

Hi,

I have been looking for a new plugin to help with making lists or grids for posts. The Content Views Pro plugin works fine except for the fact that it loads two stylesheets site wide and upon inspection I see that 97% and 92% of these files are unused.

I like the style(s) that the GeneratePress theme has for archive pages for the grids.

Why do I have to install another plugin like WP Show Posts (or even worse a plugin not written by Tom), when the css is already loaded. For example, on a category page with a sidebar, I can have the main grid done by GeneratePress css and the grid in the sidebar done by WP Show Posts. But now there is too much css being loaded.

So why doesn’t GeneratePress have the built in feature (because css is already there) to make grids for posts. In reference to https://wpshowposts.com/support/topic/is-specific-wpsp-css-applied-sitewide/

I mean GneeratePress Pro already has Blog, Elements, Sections, etc.

Why not grids so to cut done on my unused css.

I love GeneratePress Pro and Content Views Pro looked so promising (but it really sucks).

Any ideas?

David

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

WP Show Posts is built to be Theme agnostic. To ensure that works without conflict it requires its own CSS classes and style sheets. Merging those classes into the GP blog styles would add extra code to GP that would be redundant to users that do not require WP Show Posts.

I personally wouldn’t be concerned about the CSS that WP Show Posts is loading – its miniscule.

David

Hi David,

Thank you for your reply.

I do not use Elements and Sections from GeneratePress Premium. But I do use Blog, Colors, and some others. If there was a Posts module, then I could turn it off and on, like I turn off Elements and turn on Blog with GeneratePress Premium. So that way it is not redundant for anyone.

I would certainly like to try to use WP Show Posts, because Content Views is too heavy.

Thank you again for your reply.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I can see what you mean 🙂
    Give WP Show Posts a shot i am sure you will be happy with its performance

Amit

I too agree as we have to install an extra plugin just to achieve that. We even now have Generateblocks and that could have contained a block for posts grid purpose! Now we have to install 3 plugins for that, WP premium, Wp Show posts for post grid and Generateblocks for advanced layout.
    Atleast you guys can make it into 2 things.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

I too agree as we have to install an extra plugin just to achieve that. We even now have Generateblocks and that could have contained a block for posts grid purpose! Now we have to install 3 plugins for that, WP premium, Wp Show posts for post grid and Generateblocks for advanced layout.
    Atleast you guys can make it into 2 things.

That’s a good point but we also have to consider users who only want to use one but not the other.

Having all 3 of them merged under GP Premium will mean they’ll be exclusive to a theme(GP) and that’s not exactly ideal as we’d still like users of another theme to be able to use the plugins.

Having WPSP and GB merged can be an issue as well.

Some users of other themes use WP Show Posts with their own layout blocks like Kadence blocks. (for users of Kadence theme)

Some users of GenerateBlocks may want to use a post list plugin aside from WP Show Posts for whatever purpose they have. (example: lightbox script conflict with other plugins)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.