[Support request] Please, Please Create a Place to Post Regular Updates on GP

Home Forums Support [Support request] Please, Please Create a Place to Post Regular Updates on GP

Home Forums Support Please, Please Create a Place to Post Regular Updates on GP

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Samuel

I’ve used GeneratePress for over three years and honestly think it’s the perfect theme for WordPress. It extends WordPress’ capabilities while staying in line with WordPress overall philosophy. As a former software developer I love the approach and the support is incredible. I just have one complaint πŸ™‚

Please provide a place where you regularly post about updates with GeneratePress and imminent changes that are coming. For example, I have been looking at making some changes to a site and stumbled on GenerateBlocks by searching this forum. It’s perfect for what I need but I spent hours looking at other solutions and almost started testing something else because I had no idea GP blocks existed. This is my one (and only one!) complaint about GP. It seems the only way to really follow it is to search out the changelog when an updates install in WordPress and sometimes search the forums to get a better grasp of a new feature.

I personally think it’s difficult to discover the true power of GeneratePress. Though I’ve used it for over three years (and happily paid for GP premium, premium show posts, etc), when it first came out I didn’t pay much attention to it because I don’t think the power was obvious. Only after I finally decided to spend some time with the theme and reading the forums did I realize what a gem it really is. I honestly think GP could be much more popular if there were at least a blog with a post a month with a summary of new features (or imminent updates). For example, when elements came out and it broke the headers on my site I didn’t know it was coming until I installed it.

A simple blog would provide a record for people to easily discover GP features. I think many more customers would purchase GP because inevitably blog posts demonstrating new features would end up in people’s searches. These posts could also help users understand what features are in beta or coming quickly. For example, searching the forum I discovered GP is moving over to Flexbox and that GP Premium 1.11 will apparently contain some new features coordinated with GP blocks. I am not suggesting you post a complete roadmap because I understand priorities change and deadlines often get moved, but it feels like right now the only way to keep up with GP is to regularly read the forums or to research the changelog after every update.

Other WordPress products like Divi, Elementor, etc provide posts with new releases that give you a ideas of how new features can be used and tip you off to what’s coming next. This would be very helpful for GP. Just a simple blog post and perhaps an email list would be great.

I really think a blog would be best because it would help new customers discover GP’s power, but even if there was a category in the support form and Tom (or someone) could post every month or so about new features so a person could access the support forum and quickly access GP updates instead of trying to do searches and scan for information. I feel like web developers who are building on top of GP can keep up to date by interacting on the forums regularly, but those of us who use GP and only periodically make any changes are a bit out of the loop.

Now maybe I’ve missed something and there is an easy way to keep up with GP. If so just let me know and my one complaint will be answered πŸ™‚

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Thanks for the suggestion!

A blog is definitely on our to-do list πŸ™‚

Do you have Facebook? If so please join the GeneratePress community group as we share some exciting news there from time to time.

Thanks again!

Samuel

Good to hear there is a blog on the to-do list. I spent some time looking at blocks once I found it and I really think the GP/blocks combo is incredible and a much better solution than anything else I’ve seen out there. You just need better advertising πŸ™‚

I don’t really use Facebook so that’s not ideal.

Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Samuel,

Really appreciate the feedback! It’s no secret that I’m not the best marketer – it’s something I need to work on for sure or find someone who can do it for us (not easy).

I do post a blog post with every update: https://generatepress.com/category/development/

However, I am pretty careful about future plans as we’ve been burned before by having others copy us/take potential names etc..

As for GenerateBlocks, we will definitely be advertising it more on this site once it’s officially released. It’s only a beta as of right now, but it will have its own section all over this site once it’s done.

As Leo said, a better blog is something we’ve been talking about internally for a while now. I think it’s a priority for this year.

Thanks again!

Samuel

That blog post is helpful–I didn’t know how to find that.

Totally understand about not posting any future plans. I was only thinking about imminent things (current release, in beta, etc). I honestly think GP plus GenerateBlocks has massive potential. So excited to keep using GP πŸ™‚

Anil

Hi Tom, same with me.
    I came across GBlocks from this forum only.
    And, I specially book-marked development category page as it is not in footer…
    Great work…
    Best regards.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m very excited about GenerateBlocks as well. It’s basically what I’ve been looking for in a page builder for a long time πŸ™‚

Eric

In terms of providing users with a quick way to see recent updates, I highly recommend AnnounceKit: https://announcekit.app/ (no affiliate links or anything, I’m just a happy customer so far). It provides an on-site widget for listing updates and with some of the paid plans you can also allow users to subscribe and receive email notifications of updates. Their free plan provides the on-site widget (with unlimited updates) and a public page with a feed of your updates. It’s good stuff.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks for the heads up! Looks awesome πŸ™‚

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.