[Support request] Permalink Problem

Home Forums Support [Support request] Permalink Problem

Home Forums Support Permalink Problem

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    johnzoro

Hi guys,

On my website greatest reviews i normally have the url then the slug

so it would be like greatest reviews .co. uk /name-of-post/

this seems to be fine for all of my posts, except this one post i’m working on

whenever i try and set the slug to name-of-post it always adds a 2 at the end.

Now i know this is because there is probably something else using that like an image or another post, so i checked and deleted all images relating to that keyword and there were no other posts.

There were also no other catergories or tags.

I then went into phpmyadmin and went to wp_posts and found it in there and deleted it.

This seemed to work…. or so i thought.

I created a draft post now and when i try and set the slug to name-of-post it adds a 14 to the end of it

The only thing i can think of is maybe the sections are getting slugs/permalinks?

Any ideas?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

That can happen when a post with the same name is in the trash – have you looked in there? Once you empty your trash, it should be available again.

johnzoro

Its not in trash

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, so here’s the only ways that I know of that can cause this.

1. Another post/page/attachment (media library)/custom post type item with the same permalink.
    2. An item in the trash (within any of the above) with the same permalink.

If that’s not the case, you either have an issue with your database, or a plugin rewriting permalinks that has a bug.

johnzoro

it only happens on one particular post.

like i mentioned earlier, i checked all my posts, pages, catergories and media and deleted everything related to that post

I even went into phmyadmin and deleted all the rows in there in wp_posts

This did make it work for a bit

I had it as post-name-here but because my post name was keyword 2017 the ultimate guide, it changed my slug to post-name-here-2017-ultimate guide

i didn’t notice this until after i’ve written some content then i tried to change it back but it wasn’t have any of it and added -14 to the end?

johnzoro

oh something else i thought of was maybe it could be a “back up” of the post

johnzoro

johnzoro

ok it looks good in phpmyadmin but still comes up with a number at the end in wordpress

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

So that screenshot says there’s a draft with the same permalink. Has it been permanently deleted (not just sent to trash)?

If none of that is working, you might need to check with WordPress.org support, as this is core WordPress functionality. Maybe they’ve seen the issue before.

johnzoro

that post in phpmyadmin is the post i am currently working on

it says it’s ok in phpmyadmin but in wordpress it adds a number to the end

ok seperate issue, but possibly related

sometimes when i update the title of sections, it updates the title of the post to the title of the last section i worked on

any ideas why this is happening too?

johnzoro

i just added 2017 to the end. no idea why this is happening

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Best to stick to one issue per thread. If you can create a new topic for that separate issue, that would be great!

I’m not sure what you mean by adding 2017 to the end? Have you reported this to WordPress support yet? They see a lot of issues every day, so maybe this has come up before and they have a solution I’m not aware of.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.