[Resolved] Performance questions

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Performance questions

Home Forums Support Performance questions

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Lars

Hi,

I’m looking at any way to enhance the speed of my webpage.

Its built-in Elementor which I know is not ideal for speed but I lack the time and skills not to use a page builder.

So I’m looking for more easy fixes that can at least make slight improvements – and have the following questions:

1. The script “themes/generatepress/js/menu.min.js?ver=2.3.2” is running on the page. As I have made the menu with Elementor is this script necessary? Can it be removed with Asset Cleanup (or similar plugin) without any consequences?

2. On the customize – General tab there is an option to use “SVG” as icon type. What is this for? What will happen if I change this to SVG? Can I upload the company logo as SVG and save a tiny bit of space? Any other benefits to enable SVG here?

3. In the GT-Metrix report, there are 7 different scripts running under “Fonts”. This hardly sounds necessary. As the page is using Elementor on most pages (but still have some pages that just use the normal wp-editor) what’s your recommendation. Is there some improvement potential here? This might be a question I should ask the Elementor support as well but as you are known for your performance expertise I would very much like to hear if you have some input as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Kind regards,
    Lars

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

1. The menu.min.js file handles our own navigation, including the mobile menu. If you don’t need it, you should be able to remove it without consequence.

2. Choosing the SVG option will replace all of the default icons in GP with SVG icons. Right now, they use a font, so doing this will eliminate the request for the GP icon font.

3. The only “Fonts” that GP loads are the icons. If you switch to SVG (above), that request will be gone. The other fonts are things like Google Fonts (set in GP and Elementor) and Font Awesome (loaded by Elementor).

Let me know if you need more info πŸ™‚

Lars

Thanks!

Just a bit more curious about point 2.

What default icons are these? Anything displayed in the front-end?

And why is a request removed by just changing to SVG? Isn’t a request needed to get the SVG icons?

Any downside to changing to SVG? And if not – why is it not SVG by default?

Do I need to do anything else after changing the setting? Or is it just to change the setting – and everything works as normal – with one request less?

Sorry about all these questions. Just to satisfy my need to understand this a little bit better.

Thanks again.

Kind regards
    Lars

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hey Lars,

There are a few icons on the front-end. Things like the mobile toggle bars, search icon, close icon, categories, tags etc..

These are inline SVGs, so they’re treated as HTML instead of an image, which eliminates the request.

Some old browsers don’t like SVGs, but it shouldn’t be an issue. We didn’t want to create any compatibility issues, so we’ve kept the font icon option as default for now.

You shouldn’t need to do anything else when it comes to the theme fonts.

Hope this helps! πŸ™‚

Lars

Thanks Tom.

You do amazing work and offer great and friendly service!

Thanks again!

Simon

I have just spent the better part of the last 6 months working on page load performance.
    I have to say, this theme is lightening fast when you don’t bog it down with plugins and theme builders (but i understand sometimes theres no other option). My sites loads in well under half a second across the US with a function rich site.

It sounds to me like your on the right path trying to reduce the number of requests, if you have not stumbled upon the Perfmatters plugin, its pretty dam good for that. Thats said however I think the place where you will gain the most benefit is in file load order. As in working to ensure only critical assets load first, and the rest have to wait until the above the fold page is rendered. (things like font awesome, JS and images).

Hope that helps.

Si

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Glad I could help!

Thanks for your input, Simon! Great suggestion πŸ™‚

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.