[Support request] Page name showing up twice in search engines

Home Forums Support [Support request] Page name showing up twice in search engines

Home Forums Support Page name showing up twice in search engines

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Diego

Hello everyone

In search engines (for example google), the results for my page look like this; “Name of the post – Shortorial – Shortorial.com”
    Why is the name of the site showing up twice? Is generate press also creating a page title besides Yoast SEO?

Hopefully, someone can help me out with this, because it looks really ugly 😉

All the best from Switzerland
    Diego

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

have you checked the Yoast Site Title you have set-up as this would be generated by Yoast.

Diego

Hello David

Yes, I checked everything and when I look at the code on my sites, the <title> tag is also filled with the correct content.
    I thought this has maybe something to do with Generate press creating titles?

Best
    Diego

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

WP adds a <title> tag by default – but this should be replaced by the Yoast meta. Its not something the theme interferes with. If its the Yoast one that is working then it is usually followed by a comment such as:

<title>Test post - Company</title>

<!-- This site is optimized with the Yoast SEO plugin v11.4 - https://yoast.com/wordpress/plugins/seo/ -->
    <!-- Admin only notice: this page does not show a meta description because it does not have one, either write it for this page specifically or go into the [SEO - Search Appearance] menu and set up a template. -->
    Diego

Hello David
    Sorry for the late reply but I did tons of researches in the meantime.

My Yoast settings are all done the right way and Yoast also only generates one title.
    But there is something else causing the second title because it looks like this “Name of the post – SiteName – SiteName.com
    The first “SiteName” is generated by Yoast. But I have no clue where the second one is coming from?
    When I check the code of the loaded page, then the <title>-tag only contains 1 time the page name. But in all the search engines it is displayed twice.

In the Generatepress theme I couldn’t find any <title>-tag. But I found the “Title-tag-function”. Has it something to do with this?

Hopefully someone can help me.
    All the best from Switzerland
    Diego

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

So i looked at the head of one of your posts and i see this Title tag:

<title>Copy posts in WordPress – Shortorial</title>

This is what the search engines should be pulling from your SEO title.
    Have you recently changed the SEO title snippet and if so have you ‘recrawled’ the site?

Diego

Hello David

I also checked the <title>-Tag and it looks fine on the page itself.
    But the one displayed on search engines is showing the site name twice (I already recrawled it).
    Yoasts support told me, that it may have to do with the template, but I have no idea what it could be…

Cheers
    Diego

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I am really not sure why it is doing that – we use Yoast on the GeneratePress site and you can see it in the SERPs that it is displaying exactly what is in the <title> tag.

It may be a case that any changes are yet to propagate. Also in the past, googles method of analysing the title meant it could change the ouput to what it felt was more relevant – although i wouldn’t expect this to be the case.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.