[Support request] Page Layout Element

Home Forums Support Page Layout Element

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Antar

Hello, All

I would be very useful if I could add a css class to a page layout element. From what I can see the element creates/modifies a div with the id=content and class=site-content.

Why not give users the opportuniuty to insert their own class too? This would open up a host of customisation options for the main page content.

Just a thought.

Antar

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Can you provide an example of what you are trying to achieve and the difficulty without custom class?

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Antar

Hi, Leo –

This idea stems from my client asking to see two versions of their site design in one demo. They want to see a full-width version and a boxed version simply by visiting different pages on the site.

It occurred to me this would be very useful but I would need to lay down some extra CSS classes to make it all happen. Ideally it would be great if a page element layout would allow me to insert my own class into the body and the main content area. That would allow me to create a boxed design from a full-width set-up pretty easilly. It’s not just the page width but also the background colours and text alignment.

I can do it with snippets. It would be even better if I could do inside GP.

Antar

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

You should be able to use the page builder container options in the layout element module for the fullwidth vs boxed requirement:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/layout-element-overview/#content-1

I can’t really recall someone else requesting this so I’m not sure if a feature like this would be useful for the majority of users.

If we add custom class option to the site-content div, then what about header, footer and sidebar etc? Could end up with lots of extra code.

Keep in mind that we try to keep GP lightweight and fast ๐Ÿ™‚

Antar

Leo –

Sure. I understand. How about just a class to the body?

Antar

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support
    Antar

Hi, Leo –

I use this snippet a lot. What I need is a conditional that will allow me to hook it to an element layout. So if “this” layout is asigned to a page, then run the body class code.

Can it be done?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Interesting – so an input in the Layout Element which adds a body class? I could see that being helpful to some users. Will think on it ๐Ÿ™‚

Antar

Hi, Tom –

Yes, that’s the idea. Being able to assign a unique body class to every element layout would open up a range of possibilities. The more you think about it the more sense it makes.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Yea, I like the idea – will look into adding it in 1.10 ๐Ÿ™‚

Rafaล‚

I agree with Antar.

Now I use Elements’ Hook (in wp-footer) to achieve additional class on body element.

<script>
    jQuery(document).ready(function($) {
      $('body').addClass('my-class');
    });
    </script>

My customization isn’t dramatic so I don’t need to create a new template.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.