- This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Tom.
September 9, 2019 at 8:20 am #1004874Marcel
I’ve just added a video to my testwebsite using this helppage: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-hero-background-video/
It works but not totally…
1. There is sound in the video but when I remove the “muted” it doesn’t display the video at all.
2. It does display on desktop and laptops and ipads but NOT on iphone XS?
3. It shortly shoes the fallback image, is there a way to have the fallback image but that it DOESN’T show it at first?
4. This video is actually to small but it’s just for testing, but what do you recommend for sizing? It should be able to display on all screens. Is there a rule for sizes (both resolution and MB’s)?
Thanks for your help!
Marcel MooijSeptember 9, 2019 at 4:03 pm #1005245TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
1. Can you remove the
mutedoption so I can see the issue?
2. Can you try this?: https://stackoverflow.com/a/45402661/2391422
3. Hmm, that’s what the
posteris supposed to do (act as a fallback until the video loads). I’m not sure if it’s possible to only show it if the video isn’t going to load at all.
4. I’m not a video expert, but this might help: https://www.viget.com/articles/best-practices-for-background-videos/September 10, 2019 at 5:00 am #1005613Marcel
Hi Tom, thanks for getting back!
1. When I do this the site just shows the fallback image, but I already found out the problem:
it seems that there’s an “autoplay-policy” active that doesn’t allow a video to autoplay with sound, only muted… (see for example: https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/09/autoplay-policy-changes).
2. That works! Thx 😉 Just add “playsinline”
3. Yeah I understand. I thought that a fallback-image was only for the cases where the video wouldn’t load at all but now I see the point. I think I will create the video with a nice first frame and use that as the fallback-image 🙂
4. I will look at that site! Thx again.September 10, 2019 at 9:49 am #1005997TomLead DeveloperLead Developer
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.