[Support request] Page headers: global locations & custom exceptions

Home Forums Support [Support request] Page headers: global locations & custom exceptions

Home Forums Support Page headers: global locations & custom exceptions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Antwan

Hello,

On my GP-installation there is a page where I defined a custom header. When I edit this page, all header-data can be edited on the page itself. On other pages however, the only header-option is to select a pre-defined header (the ones defined under the menu-item ‘Page headers’). Is there something I’m missing here? I would really like to set a default header through the ‘Page headers’, but with the option to customize the pre-set header on all individual pages.

Thanks in advance,

Antwan

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Antwan

GP 1.6 moved the headers from the page editor to the Page Headers menu in the dashboard. Any legacy pages that had a page header setup will still display this option, but not on any new ones.

Antwan

Thanks David.

So, if I understand you correctly, when the header is set through the Page Headers menu-item there is no way to make per-page variations (i.e. in the overlayed text, through a custom field)? On this particular installation there are already 34 different headers defined, when the variations should be added as you decribed then the amount of headers will quickly grow to a level where management becomes somewhat cumbersome.

Best,

Antwan

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Antwan,

yes, you can make individual headers for each page, as was the original 1.5 version. Which did mean you would have a lot of unique headers to manage and you can still do this.

However, using the Global Locations allows you to define a generic page header to a set of templates, this functionality increases greatly with conditional Display Rules in the new 1.7 elements module.

To improve workflow you can do the following:

1. Featured Image – do not add a background image to the Page Header, just select the Add background image option in Content and it will use the page / post featured image.
    2. Template tags are listed within the Page Header e.g {{post_title}} which will remove the title from content area and place it in the header. There is also a template tag for WP Custom Fields {{custom_field.name}}

More here on that:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/page-header-template-tags/

For more advanced dynamic content e.g Advanced Custom Fields / PODs etc. i would use a shortcode.

So generally i have a 1 x Page header for all my posts, 1 x for pages and 1 for each of my index / archive pages.

Does that help?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.