[Resolved] Page and post ids?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Page and post ids?

Home Forums Support Page and post ids?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Peter Duggan

Hopefully just a simple question with a simple answer…

From some quick research I’d expected page and post ids to be distinct from each other but, even on my simple little site with (so far) 42 pages and 4 posts, my latest page is post=1109 and my latest post is post=1075. So they’re obviously numbered as part of the same (‘post’) series with edits/revisions to earlier pages/posts apparently responsible for pushing the numbers up so quickly? Not that it matters when site users are seeing the sensible permalinks rather than the crazy numbers unless they’re viewing source, but I’d thought pages should have ‘page’ numbers/ids and posts ‘post’ numbers/ids. Haven’t got anything to compare page-wise because my only other WordPress installation is used for blogging (posts) only, but just wondering if it’s standard WordPress practice or some GeneratePress setting I’ve inadvertently tripped to make page and post ids part of the same number series and incrementing like that?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Peter,

Tis just the way WordPress manages things – things like revisions, attachments etc.. all increment the IDs.

This guy explains it quite well: http://wordpress.stackexchange.com/questions/26808/post-ids-are-incrementing-by-an-unknown-number

Peter Duggan

Thanks, Tom…

I didn’t really think it could be anything I (or you) had done and knew it was probably just a general WordPress question, but was slightly thrown by some web searching earlier suggesting that page and post ids should be different.

Thanks again for a prompt answer to a question I probably shouldn’t have asked!

Cheers
    P

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

All questions are worth asking! I’m sure someone will find this useful 🙂

Thanks!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.