[Resolved] padding after single post content: re Related Post-type plugins

Home Forums Support [Resolved] padding after single post content: re Related Post-type plugins

Home Forums Support padding after single post content: re Related Post-type plugins

• This topic has 10 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Tom.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Frances

Hi there, I’m back with another formatting question:

Over on my very basic test site I’ve been auditioning a variety of “Related Post” plugins and have found that they all want to insert the “Related Posts” title on the very next line AFTER my single post content. There’s no white space above the title, making it appear to be the last line of the current post.

I’ve tried inserting margin and padding CSS for the plugin’ title tag* using the “Simple CSS” plugin but it’s not changing anything. (fyi the most recent plugin I tested is WordPress Related Posts with the following identifier:

.related_post_title {
    }

Hopefully this basic sketch will make sense

WP Related Post Title crammed up against last line of single post

Also – I searched the forums today looking for scoop, and found your CSS formulas for inserting extra spacing above the entry meta. I tried this in the customizer and it worked perfectly…but it didn’t impact the spacing of the related posts info.

I thought I’d check with you in case there’s something I can do on the GP, since this spacing issue is happening with every related post plugin I’ve tried (except Jetpack…and I really don’t want to use jetpack!),

Thanks for any guidance you may come up with! I did not want to mess with my real site until I get this dialed in. ; )

Cheers from Port Townsend, WA
    Frances

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Any chance you can link me to the page using the related posts with no padding? I should be able to help 🙂

Frances

Good morning Tom, here’s the link (warning – just a test site that looks sucky!)

http://francesclementsfawcett.com/FCF_Experiment/2017/03/08/test-post-6/

I have WordPress Related Posts running, though as I mentioned most of the Related Post plugins are displaying in a similar fashion- the title “More From My Site” is jammed up against the last sentence in my post content.

Thanks for any guidance when you have time (this isn’t a huge crisis for me…more of a puzzle and a learning opportunity!

Frances

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Give this CSS a try:

.wp_rp_wrap {
        margin-top: 30px;
    }
    Frances

Hi Tom – thanks for the code!

I inserted
    .wp_rp_wrap {
        margin-top: 30px;
    }
    into the Simple CSS box in the customizer…and nothing changed.

I then tried inserting it into the plugin’s CSS area (located under ‘advanced options/enable CSS) and nada.

For kicks I then circled back to enable the ‘spacing’ for GP and tried the code again and nothing.

I’m stumped! I’ll try clearing my browser cache and see if that helps.

Thanks again
    Frances

Frances

Update:

I just switched the WP related post template to “momma” and the spacing changed – it now looks great!

But I still don’t know why the CSS you furnished to me won’t work:
    As a test I went back into the Simple CSS box in the customizer to change pixel # in the CSS you gave me to see if this would impact the title spacing, and it still did nothing. Which is mysterious! So I’m still unclear about how I would change the spacing…but am happy to have something that works.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Is your CSS still inside the Simple CSS box in the Customizer? I’m not seeing it added to the site.

Let me know 🙂

Frances

Hi Tom, I took it off, but just put it back in there. Thanks! ; )

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, that’s strange.

Any chance you can try typing it out instead of pasting, then remove the pasted snippet?

Frances

Hi Tom – had a chance to try your suggestion and it worked! I’m wondering why it makes a difference to type out the CSS rather than copy/paste?
    I’ll remember this the next time I’m adding CSS!

I really appreciate your assistance – THANK YOU!

Cheers from out here in Port Townsend,

Frances

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’ve never seen that before, it’s like the editor took the spaces and converted them to weird characters.

Glad it works now 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.