[Resolved] Optimising performance

Home Forums Support Optimising performance

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Charlotte

Hi I have completed the site and moved it from the test domain to a live url.

When I run it through Google Pagespeed I get a few issues (below). Are any of these to do with the theme and is there anything I can do to improve it? Thanks

Opportunity
    Estimated Savings
    Reduce server response times (TTFB)
    1.19 s
    Efficiently encode images
    0.77 s
    Serve images in next-gen formats
    0.77 s
    Eliminate render-blocking resources
    0.25 s
    DiagnosticsMore information about the performance of your application.
    Ensure text remains visible during webfont load

Any suggestions most welcome!

Thanks

Charlotte

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

the only theme related one is:
    Ensure text remains visible during webfont load

This is the Theme Icon font – Google likes to have a fallback font whilst it waits for a font to load. But as it is an icon there is no font it can fallback to. In GeneretePress 2.3 ( latest version ) you can switch the Icon to SVG in Customizer > General. This will remove this issue.

Reduce server response times (TTFB) – if this is a common warning then speak with your host as its server related.

Efficiently encode images & Serve images in next-gen formats – are actually related to an image being loaded by google maps. Which is kinda ironic.

To make improvements to performance you would need to look at reducing requests – like is there a better alternative to font awesome, do i need the google map on the home page footer ( maps add a lot of loading time to a page ) ….

Charlotte

Thank you. I will look into those things.

The only other issue we are having When testing is images not showing on Apple computers and a Samsung s7. Is there anything you can suggest there?

Thanks

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Can you reset Jetpacks Photon plugin?
    I also notice an error in the console relating to your Cookie bar. This could be breaking the JS for the page, so disabling that would tell if there is a conflict.

Charlotte

thanks. I have changed to another cookie plugin. The site works when Jetpack is disabled. It doesn’t work if I just turn off the Site Accelerator (apparently that’s what photon is now called). Can you think of anything else I can do?

Charlotte

Disabling lazy loading on jetpack seems to have fixed it. Would you agree?

I have implemented most of your other suggestions too.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

It’s working for me. And i can see its loading considerably quicker now – 1.5seconds using a GTMetrix test.

Charlotte

Yes, very pleased with the GTMetrix test. Thank you so much for all your help guys, this is by far the best support I have received for a theme. I don’t know how you manage it! I will leave you a 5* review.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to be of help, and really happy for the feedback and the 5* review it is much appreciated.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.