[Resolved] Open-Canvas menu as breadcrumbs

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Open-Canvas menu as breadcrumbs

Home Forums Support Open-Canvas menu as breadcrumbs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • Author
    John

Hello Support at GP !

I always begin a help request with praise of your work. Why? Yes, to motivate you to continue providing me with great support. But the bigger reason is that I think you folks are absolutely first-class: fast … problem always solved … polite … professional. Thank you !

Ok, I have an open-canvas menu. My site, however – understand-culture.com – does not offer any kind of breadcrumb-function. I don’t like breadcrumbs. I find them necessary only if the design of site is either poor or overly complicated.

I think it would be very helpful on my site to help users to know exactly where they are on the site. For now it should be rather easy. Just two countries and ten topics.

However, should UC grow in countries, topics and languages – and this is the plan – then it might be helpful for users to have a place to look in order to remind themselves where they are.

Is it possible to set up the off-canvas menu such that it reflects where the user is on the site … i.e. Contrasts_Germany:USA_Communication_Directness?

Thanks

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

so is this ‘breadcrumb’ to be displayed inside the off canvas panel?

John

Yes, David, on the inside of the off-convas panel. I think it would be great if users always knew: “Heck, where am I? Wait, hit the menu icon top-right and that tells me where I am. And while I’m in the menu I can go somewhere else!”

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re still going to need to create a breadcrumb – either using an SEO plugin, like Yoast or RankMath or a dedicated Breadcrumb plugin like NavXT

You can then add the php function or shortcode to the site using a Hook Element.
    Example here for adding NavXT:

https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/how-can-i-make-breadcrumbs-visible-in-gp/#post-1101957

The hook for the Off Canvas Panel would be: generate_inside_slideout_navigation
    This will place it above the menu in the off canvas

John

Thanks, David, for the very fast reply.

I was hoping it would be possible for the off-canvas menu to notice itself where the user was and then open to that topic + subtopic should the user click on the menu. That, however, would have to be a very, very smart off-canvas menu.

I’d rather not have any kind of breadcrumbs anywhere, not even above “Home” on the off-canvas menu.

Thanks, nonetheless, !

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Aah – if you just want the current parent menus open to show the current page, then maybe this JS that Tom provides is what you need:

https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/css-bug-in-sider/#post-658074

John

Hi David,

Sorry for mis-describing the funtionality I am aiming for. And thanks for picking up on it so quickly.

Where do I place the JS from Tom … under Additional CSS?

I tried, but got this error message: “Unable to save due to 1 invalid setting.”

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Nope all on me – didn’t have my brain in gear lol.

The code is PHP – this article explains:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-php/

Alternative to adding PHP is you can use a Hook Element.
    Add just the script to the element:

<script>
        jQuery( document ).ready( function($) {
            $( '.current-menu-ancestor' ).addClass( 'sfHover' ).find( '.sub-menu' ).addClass( 'toggled-on' );
        } );
    </script>

And select the wp_head hook
    And set the Display Rules > Locations to Entire Site

John

You’re human, David, I love it !

I added the coding below which you had given me as a snippet, but it had no effect:

add_action( ‘wp_enqueue_scripts’, function() {
    wp_enqueue_script( ‘jquery’ );
    } );

add_action( ‘wp_head’, function() {
    ?>
    <script>
    $( ‘.current-menu-ancestor’ ).addClass( ‘sfHover’ ).find( ‘.sub-menu’ ).addClass( ‘toggled-on’ );
    } );
    </script>
    <?php
    }, 999 );

I suspect I got that wrong. Should I instead use a Hook element?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Try the Element method, and instead of using the wp_head hook, use the wp_footer hook. This should make sure the script fires after the menu items have loaded.

John

Yes, my mistake.

I just did try the Element method, but with wp_head, did not work. I’ll try wp_footer.

Thanks, David.

John

No, wp_footer did not work. Is the code I should be using?

<script>
    $( ‘.current-menu-ancestor’ ).addClass( ‘sfHover’ ).find( ‘.sub-menu’ ).addClass( ‘toggled-on’ );
    } );
    </script>

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Odd… can you remove any code / elements you have and ill take a closer look and hopefully provide something that works!

John

I currently only have two hooks under Elements: ActiveCampaign, and this code that you gave me:

<script>
    } );
    </script>

Should I remove both? Not a problem doing so.

You write: “I’ll take a closer look and hopefully provide something that works!”

Do you have access to my backend? Do you need that access? Not a problem if you do?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Just remove that script ie.

<script>
    } );
    </script>

Don’t need access to backend

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 43 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.