[Support request] Older version of GP

Home Forums Support Older version of GP

• This topic has 5 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 12 months ago by Tom.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Rebecca Cousins

Hi! I built a website on a premium version of GP from 2016 and have continued to purchase an updated license however I am struggling with being able to make updates to my site in an easy and efficient way since all of the changes have occurred with GP. The reason I went with GP in the first place was because of the easy drag and drop features that made it possible for someone like me with no coding skills whatsoever to be able to build a site. I love the new features, theme library, etc. that GP is now offering but with the old version I am not able to use those. I reached out to a tech person in this forum about a month ago and they did not suggest trying to migrate my current site because the themes from the library would not support it and I may have more troubles than is worth it. I guess my question is what do I do from this point? I tried the suggestions from the tech response I got to create a staging site to make updates on but I couldn’t get the library themes to work (probably because I am not tech savvy enough). Do you have any suggestions that would help me be able to continue to use the GP theme while being able to update my website in a DIY user-friendly way? Thanks in advance for your help.

Rebecca

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Rebecca,

The Site Library itself was built for new websites, mainly. They import fresh content, which can become a pain when it mixes with your existing content.

All of the other GP options should work exactly like they always have – we haven’t broken any existing features in the new versions.

Are you wanting to put one of the Site Library designs on top of your existing site? If so, which one?

Rebecca Cousins

Hi Tom! Thank you for your quick response. I’m sorry if I implied that GP broke any of the features as that is not what I was trying to say at all. I’m know what I am experiencing is a matter of user error on my part because I am a complete novice at website design. I have been able to muster through from all of the documentation in the forum (which is awesome by the way) and google. I admittedly haven’t worked on updating this site for a couple of years, and so I’m finding that controls/features (not sure of right term here) I once had are no longer in place, or I’m not able to quickly figure them out.

It’s not that I necessarily want to use a new theme from the library to overwrite what I currently have. I guess I thought that might be the easiest solution to fix some of the issues that I have been having trying to make updates to my current site. It needs an overhaul and I’m finding it really challenging to get the look I’m after. Maybe if I explain what I am looking to do you can point me in a better direction. Ultimately I’d like to create a landing page to look like the split theme home page, keep the blog post area exactly as I currently have with the exception of utilizing the split theme header across all pages of my website.

The other issue I have is with post structure options. It has defaulted to a block post layout that I can’t seem to figure out how to turn off. Previously I had an option to use block layout or classic. Now I do not have that option. In addition, I had a post header option that would allow the feature image to be displayed on my posts page but that option is no longer available when creating a post. I did see in the forum that I can get that option through elements, however, when I followed the instructions to add the page/post header I couldn’t get it to work.

I hope what I am trying to convey is clear. I know my terminology may be off so if anything is not clear please let me know and I can try to explain it in another way. Thank you again for your help, I appreciate it!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

1. It’s not super easy to achieve the Split header, but it is possible. We go over the instructions here: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/centering-logo-navigation/

Let me know if you’re able to get it working. If not, I should be able to help you get the rest of the way.

2. Are you wanting to use the Classic Editor? If so, this plugin should help: https://wordpress.org/plugins/classic-editor/

3. The Page Header option did use to be on every single page. Now we moved it to “Elements”, which has all the same options, but it allows you to apply a single Page Header across multiple pages, which saves tons of time.

This page might be helpful: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/header-element-overview/

Let me know 🙂

Rebecca Cousins

Thanks Tom! I’ll give those suggestions a try and let you know how it goes.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.