[Support request] Number of footers vary from page to page

Home Forums Support [Support request] Number of footers vary from page to page

Home Forums Support Number of footers vary from page to page

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    TeckChew

I am a new GeneratePress v2.21/GPP Premium v1.77 user and I am having problem controlling the number of footer widgets on my front/home page.

I created a mockup site https://niceyachtforhire.com with 3 footer widgets which I wanted them to appear on my front page and Rent page only. On my front/home page only 2(instead of 3) footer widgets appear while on the Rent page all 3 footer widgets are correctly displayed. This is what I did:

1. Created 3 footer widgets: (1) filter product by price (2) Product search (3) Cart
    2. Specified 3 widgets in Customize->Layout->Footer->Footer Widgets->3
    3. Created a GP Element- ShopLayout – with 3 widgets in Footer and Display Rules that apply to Shop Page and All Products
    4. Created another GP Element – HomeLayout -> with 3 widgets in Footer and Display Rules that apply to Front Page and Yacht Page (which is the front page)

My Front Page will only display 2 widgets – that is the 2nd and 3 widgets. I have tried changing the number of widgets in the HomeLayout Element to 0,1,3,and 4, but only 2 widgets will be displayed. It seems that this Element has no impact on the front page at all. The Rent Page is displaying correctly the 3 widgets. Originally I have also specified the ShopLayout Element Display Rules to include the Front Page but to no avail: the front page will just display 2 widgets.

Can you advise where else I can control the number of widgets to be displayed on the front page?

Thanks.

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

That’s really werid. I can see the code for footer widget 1 showing on the front page, but it just looks like nothing is in it:
    https://www.screencast.com/t/ieJjx0Do

I don’t think it’s a GP problem though.

What happens if you disable Beaver Builder? That’s the only main difference I see on the front page.

If not can you go through #1 here
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/debugging-tips/

If not then try #4 in the same article.

Let me know 🙂

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Can you try #1 here to eliminate any plugin conflicts first?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/debugging-tips/

If that doesn’t help, what if you just insert a normal text widget as footer widget 1?

Please make sure to reply here, not through the e-mails.

TeckChew

Hi Leo

This is what I found after deactivating plugins and GeneratePress theme. The culprit is the widget itself – filter by price. For some reason it will appear only on the Shop/Rent page but not on other pages. I replaced the Filter By Price widget with a Text widget and it will appear on the Home page.

Now, I decided not to show any footer widgets at all on my Home page by setting the number of footer widgets in my HomeLayout Element to zero. As I have mentioned in my earlier message it seems that this Element does not have an impact on the number of footer widgets being displayed on my Home Page. I tried default value, 0, 1,2,3 etc – it will still show 2 widgets for now(because the filter-by-price widget is skipped). It seems that GeneratePress is taking the number of widgets to display from Customize-?Layut->Footer->Footer Widgets

Pls let me know how I can suppress the display of footer widgets on my Home page(or for that matter on other non-woo commerce pages) when the Element does not seem to work. Thanks.

Regards
    TeckChew

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

price filter widget is a dynamic widget that only displays where a shop archive is present. You can look at one of the Dynamic / Conditional Widget plugins to replace widgets by page template.

TeckChew

Thanks David.

Do you have any Dynamci /Conditional Logic plugin to recommend?

In the meantime, I just don’t want my Home page to display any footer widget. I created a HomeLayout Element and set the number of footer widgets to zero for my Home page but it seems that this Element has no effect at all. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks.

Regards
    TC

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Maybe give this a try, it handles any widget areas not just sidebars:

https://wordpress.org/plugins/content-aware-sidebars/

In your Layout Element > Display Rules try selecting: Front Page.

TeckChew

Hi

Yes I have done that before asking Support for help. I have applied the Display Rules to Front page and Yacht page(which is my front page). I am aware of the Display Rules and that is why I have different Elements for different pages.

I have also tried just applying the display rules to Front Page alone and also just to Yacht Page alone. I have tried various combinations but the HomeLayout Element does not seem to have an effect at all on the number of footer widgets being displayed.

I don’t think the Element works at all because I have also created another Header Element merging the contents and navigation bar but I don’t have a transparent home page. I will raise this problem in another thread.

Is there anything in GP that I need to set to get Elements to work?

Regards
    TC

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Would you provide us with temporary admin login so we can see what is going on?
    You can send the details via the Account Issue form here:
    https://generatepress.com/contact/

Please add the URL of this topic to the form so we can track.

TeckChew

Hi David

I have just sent you the login credentials via the https://generatepress.com/contact(Account issue)

Regards
    TC

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

OK so the Layout Meta on the Yacht Page is overriding the Layout Element.
    But do you just want the front page to display as if there were 2 columns, as the empty filter widget is currently missing?

If so then remove the Layout Element, and leave your widget settings elsewhere as 3 and add this CSS:

body:not(.woocommerce) .inside-footer-widgets > div:not(:first-child) {
        width: 50%;
    }

It will make the 2 widgets occupy the whole width on any non woocommerce page where the filter wont display.

Let me know.

TeckChew

Thank you very much,David.

Actually, I don’t want to display any footer widget at all on the Front Page(Yacht Page).

I modified your CSS codes to

body:not(.woocommerce) .inside-footer-widgets > div:not(:first-child) {
    Display: none;
    }

That got rid of the widgets. Thanks once again David. I am really appreciate your help.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Ok, thats great – glad to be of help.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.