[Resolved] Notice: Undefined index

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Notice: Undefined index

Home Forums Support Notice: Undefined index

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Ben

Hi

I applied a lot of updates to a site today (WordPress update, lots of plugins, including GeneratePress). After the updates, the site now displays three identical error messages in the header which look like this…

Notice: Undefined index: icons in /home/******/**********/wp-content/themes/123.generatepress/inc/theme-functions.php on line 26

Any help appreciated as I’m at a bit of a loss as to what’s wrong at the moment!

Ben

I think it might relate to the top bar widgets. There are two custom HTML widgets there which just show images with hyperlinks. On some pages they still show up and on others they don’t (they should show on all pages). The error messages show on all pages though.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

looks like you may have made some changes to the theme files as the theme folder is named: 123.generatepress ?

Ben

Hi David

I definitely haven’t made any changes to the theme files or the folder name. Starting to worry now!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Do you have a child theme installed ?
    Check in Appearance > Themes and let me know name and version of the theme that is installed.

Ben

No, I don’t have a child theme installed.

The current theme is GeneratePress Version: 2.2.2

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

OK so somewhere along the way the generatepress theme folder name has been changed which is stopping the theme from updating.

You would need to access your Site via FTP and change the the folder name in:

/wp-content/themes/123.generatepress to /wp-content/themes/generatepress

The theme will then update and any busted files should be replaced.

Although i can’t see any issues in doing this – always advisable to make a backup before making changes.

Ben

Thanks very much David. When I change the folder name, are you anticipating the theme automatically updating itself, or will I have to instigate the update in the usual way?

What concerns me is that I didn’t change the folder name, so I’m not sure what did. Nobody else has FTP access.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You will need to activate the theme update.
    The change in folder name is a little concerning. I would recommend reviewing your current security setup and running some malware tests just to be safe.

Ben

Thanks David. I’ve done as described, updated the GeneratePress, re-applied it as the current theme, and everything looks as it should again. Very happy about this, so thanks so much for your help.

The concern about the directory changing its name remains. The login page is hidden, I have a limit on login attempts, and a ReCaptcha check on login. Not sure what else I can do. If there’s a malware test you recommend I’d be pleased to hear of it.

Thanks again ๐Ÿ™‚

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

A lot of users recommend iThemes Security or WordFence plugins. Both come with Malware Scanners as well as a host of protection services.

Ben

Thanks for the help and the advice David. WordFence is now installed and it found no issues. The folder will remain a mystery, but at least everything looks good now ๐Ÿ™‚

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.