[Resolved] No options for BP conten in the display location rules.

Home Forums Support [Resolved] No options for BP conten in the display location rules.

Home Forums Support No options for BP conten in the display location rules.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Carsten

Hi there, I’m testing the use of a hook to replace my BuddyPress private message button, but the problem with this solution is, that the BP content is not an option in the display location rules.

Members page where the button should be displayed is https://domain/members/username/, where the username of course is dynamic.

Any solution to this problem?, would it be possible to include BP pages?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

does Member not show up in the list of Display Rule locations ?

Carsten

No, no Member in the list

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I recall from your other topics that you removed the button from the bp_member_header_actions hook.

So in the Hook Element, you can select Custom Hook from the Hooks list and add bp_member_header_actions to the field provided.

Then you can use the Entire Site Display Rules.

Carsten

The button has not been removed yet

// Messages button.
    			if ( bp_is_active( 'messages' ) )
    				add_action( 'bp_member_header_actions',    'bp_send_private_message_button', 20 );

I added the custom hook, but I can’t see any new display rule for member?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

What i am suggesting is that:

1. Use choose a custom Hook that exists ONLY where you need that element to be displayed.
    2. Use the Display Rules: Entire Site – the element will now be displayed only when the Hook is present.

I am not a BuddyPress user but I assume that the bp_member_header_actions will only exist on templates that are visible to memebers.

Carsten

I see, but the problem with this custom hook is that it is just adding an extra button to the header, not to after_content as I want.

Using the after_content hook is working, but shows on all pages and generate several errors on my page as described in my other topic,
    https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/critical-error-connected-to-hook-element/

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Not sure if i am missing something Couple of choices.

1. Use a BuddyPress template tag to set the condtion – as you already have the condition you could use that with the Hook:

<?php
    if ( bp_is_active( 'messages' ) ) {
    ?>// Your code here <?php
    }
    ?>

OR

2. Find a BuddyPress hook that is more relevant to your positional needs.
    Couldn’t find a visual guide – so use the Simply Show Hooks plugin to display hooks on the front end.

Carsten

Hi again, found the right hook to use, bp_after_member_body. Apparently this is not creating any errors either, so I guess the problem is solved ๐Ÿ˜‰

Instead of adding a remove_action, my plan is to hide the buttons in the header with CSS.

Thanks

Carsten

Hi David, my message just crossed your answer, which is in line with my solution. The list of BP actions can be found at buddypress.org.

Thanks again

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Awesome – glad to hear that ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.