[Resolved] Multiple 'Layouts' Element with Disable Elements

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Multiple 'Layouts' Element with Disable Elements

Home Forums Support Multiple 'Layouts' Element with Disable Elements

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Han

Hi there,

Loving the new ‘Elements’ add on so far. However I’m still trying to understand how the overlapping of multiple ‘layouts’ Elements work.

E.g.,
    1. Create first layout (layout 1)
    2. Under “Disable Elements”, select “Site header” and “Content title”
    3. Under “Container”, select “Full Width”
    4. Apply layout 1 to ‘entire site’; add “about us” and “contact us” page to EXCLUSION
    5. Create second layout (layout 2)
    6. Under “Disable Elements”, select “Site header” and “Content title”
    7. Apply layout 2 to ‘entire site’

What I’m trying to achieve is to disable “Site header” and “Content Title” for the entire site and have a “full width” layout for the entire site EXCEPT the “About us” and “Contact Us” page.

This setup works well but step 2 seems a little unnecessary because I would assume step 6 does the same thing. But when I uncheck the two boxes in step 2, the “Site header” and “Content Title” appear on the entire site EXCEPT the “about us” and “contact us” page even though layout 2 disables those two elements for the entire site.

Is it because leaving a box uncheck under “Disable elements” for layout 1 means we want to display them; hence it overwrites the rule in layout 2?

Sorry for the lengthy question! Hope I got my point across.

Ed

GeneratePress 2.1.4
    GP Premium 1.7.2
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Two layouts can’t be active on the same page. So the layout which was created first will take effect on the page.

So even when you create a second layout, it will only actually run on the pages which you’ve excluded in your first layout.

I explain a bit more here: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/conflicting-display-rules/

Let me know if this helps or not ๐Ÿ™‚

Han

Hi Tom,

Understood. Thanks for the explanation!

Ed

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.