[Resolved] multiple blog pages

Home Forums Support [Resolved] multiple blog pages

Home Forums Support multiple blog pages

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Terra

Hello,
    Happy New Year! (Almost.)
    Okay, I’m sorry if this a goofy question with an obvious answer. I have checked the forum etc, and still don’t really know the answer. Please help if you have time.

I have a site with GeneratePress and Elementor. I have a ‘blog page’.

Now my question is: Can I have more than one page that is a ‘blog page’?

I want to have 4 blog pages so that there is a separate blog page for each main category. So blog posts for Cat A are all posted on Cat A blog page, posts for Cat B are posted on Cat B blog page, and so on.

I understand that I assign categories to the blog posts. But I’m wondering if it’s easy to have each main category (4) on its own blog page.

I thought I could just create a page and set it up as a blog page, and do it four times. Is this the correct approach, and is this possible? I’ve tried to do it but it’s not working the same way as when I set up the first, single blog page.

Thank you so much for any info. πŸ™‚
    Terra

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Each category has its own archive area which looks like the blog.

You can add these archives to your menu by using the “Categories” area in the menu builder (Appearance > Menus).

You can see each archive/check the URL by going to “Posts > Categories” and clicking “View” under each category.

If that doesn’t work for you, a plugin like WP Show Posts might be worth checking out.

Let me know if that helps or not πŸ™‚

Terra

Hi Tom,

Thank you very much for your reply and help! I understand it now – how to make the categories show up on the menu and look like their own ‘sections’ or ‘pages’. Very helpful.

One more question for when you have a minute or so: I created the categories and put them in the main menu underneath ‘Blog’. When I go the Blog page, the layout looks good and like I created it using Elementor. But when I click on a sub-menu / sub-category, the blog post in that category shows up, but the nice layout like on the main blog page is gone and it looks really weird.
    I’m guessing this is an Elementor thing and I need to figure it out through Elementor, rather than GeneratePress. As GenPress is doing what it is supposed to do. Does that sound right?

Thanks a lot,
    Terra

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

That sounds about right.

I can double check if you can link me to the page in question.

Terra

Hi Leo,
    Thank you – I added the link to the page in my initial help request. If you just take a quick look I’d appreciate it!
    If you click on Blog, it looks okay.
    If you click on a sub-menu below Blog, the page it goes to looks bad.
    I’m not sure what to do.
    Thank you,
    Terra

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

your Categories are opening the GP Archive templates.

If you want to ‘design’ these with Elementor you need Elementor Pro and their Theme Builder templates.

If you don’t have a Pro then you would need to create static Category Pages ( like you did for your Blog page )

Terra

Okay, I have a better understanding of what is going on and what I need to do next to fix it.
    Thank you guys so much for your help and for replying to my questions. I appreciate it A LOT.
    Happy new year!
    Terra

Terra

Hmm… one more question if you have time!
    I can’t get it to stop displaying the default GP archives layout. I created an Archives template in Elementor but it just keeps using the GP default layout. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?
    Thank you!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

I don’t have a ton of experience with Elementor, but have you set the necessary conditions?: https://docs.elementor.com/article/339-creating-an-archive-template-with-elementor-pro

Terra

Hello,
    Thank you again for replying and helping even though it’s about Elementor. Yes, I had set the conditions. It turned out I needed to deactivate the GP blog in GP settings. Then it showed up using the Elementor template.
    I would really rather just use straight up GP, but I just don’t know how to make things look good using GP. So I try with Elementor. It gets so confusing.
    Anyway thank you so much! I think I’ve got it now.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem – glad you have something working πŸ™‚

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.