[Resolved] modify metadata

Home Forums Support modify metadata

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Steven

I have two questions (currently!) related to metadata.
    1) I’d like to append some text to the author byline.
    Instead of “by Vicki Nelson” I want the byline to read “by Vicki Nelson, Founder, College Parent Central”
    I tinkered with inc > template-tags.php in the GeneratePress theme folder and got it to do what I want, but when I tried adding am inc folder with that one file in it to a child theme folder it stopped working.
    How can I add a string of text to the byline in a way that will withstand Theme updates?

2) I’d like the publication date to show when in recent post excerpt listing view, but *not* when in single post view. Where would I adjust that? I only have the option to show/hide date in the customizer.

Thank you for any help you can offer.
    Steve

GP Premium 1.2.94
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

You should be able to change your “Nice name” in “Users > Your Profile”. That’s the name that shows up on the website.

Give this CSS a shot:

.single .posted-on {
        display: none;
    }
    Steven

Those tips help me a lot to understand the theme’s strategy. I was pretty sure filters weren’t going to do what I needed but, coming from a “code it” orientation, the “set it and selectively hide it” approach isn’t immediately intuitive. Thanks so much!
    Steve

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

You could use a filter as well if you wanted: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/generate_post_author

Glad I could help 🙂

Steven

Thank you, Tom.
    I need to get familiar with filters.
    I viewed a filter as a binary, yes/no toggle, not something which could carry a custom string.
    I’ll turn my attention to learning more about this tool but for now your simpler solution seems to meet the current need.
    I do still sort of wonder why the modified inc>template-tags.php file in the child theme didn’t appear to get executed but again – for another day. Thank you again.
    Steve

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Filters can be anything from strings, booleans, arrays etc.. They’re awesome.

You don’t want to overwrite the entire template-tags.php file in your child theme. If I add a function in there and call it in another file, you would get a fatal PHP error when you updated.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.