[Support request] Mobile readiness

Home Forums Support [Support request] Mobile readiness

Home Forums Support Mobile readiness

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Jay

Hi Tom,

I have just tested a simple site I set up with GP using pagespeed insights. Google reports mobile at zero (wah,wah, wah)…. Much of the “things to fix” seem to point the the theme but I’m not sure. Any advice on that?

Here’s the link: https://developers.google.com/speed/pagespeed/insights/?url=carotherspkwyvet.com&tab=mobile

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Jay,

Google Page Speed needs some love as Tom mentioned here: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/page-speed-issues-with-my-generatepress-website/#post-278222

Lots other good information on that thread too.

Hope this is helpful.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Wow, never seen a 0 before, not sure what’s happening there.

Following some of the steps in this article should help: https://generatepress.com/fastest-wordpress-theme/

CRISTO

As mentioned before, Google page speed is worthless. Never knew that before this week. Even worse with Google Analytics. I have it on my old site that I am in the process of moving to WordPress and GP….shows my load time at 8 seconds! Totally off. I suggest pingdom is a more accurate reading.

Tom….maybe we could warn everyone about this in the very beginning (at least for people like me that don’t know better)

CRISTO

Pardon my crazy suggestions, but it would also be useful if there were an area for “recommended plug-ins”. Those that do not conflict with GP. With so many plug-ins out there, it is a little scary not knowing which ones work.
    I have several installed that work well with GP: one is Envira Gallery (I think Tom has already suggested this one); another is Imagify (great image compression) and also WP rocket (who also owns Imagify).

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I wouldn’t say Google Page Speed is completely useless – it’s just really harsh, even on tools that Google provides (installed using their instructions).

As long as a plugin is well supported and updated, it should work with GP. I work hard to make sure GP uses the latest WordPress coding standards to ensure compatibility with nearly every well coded plugin out there πŸ™‚

CRISTO

Well, IMHO, if a tool like Google page speed does not give accurate results, it is useless.

Regarding plug-ins, I know you do great work Tom, did not mean it that way. But with so many plug-ins out there, some are bound to be better than others. They don’t all code as well as you do!

Jay

Man! All you guys are smart!

I took some of the suggestions. I added WPRocket (always had curiosity on that) added Autoptimze and BAM, went fron 0 to 67 on mobile. Not bad.Oh, I think the biggest thing was there was a huge, i mean HUGE, image (7.7mb). Scaled that down and compress it. I think that was a big contributing factor to my honorable 0 score πŸ™‚

A agree with above. If there were a recommended resources (plugins) page that would be great.

Jay

Tom,

Went to the GP optimization post you referenced. Doesn’t seem like Autoptimize has quite the options that your images show. Is that a result of an updated version or am I missing something?

Lyle

Hi Jay,

Regarding the Autoptimize options, did you note this note on that page? πŸ™‚

“Note: You’ll have to check the “Advanced Options” button to show these extra options.”

Got me too the first time πŸ™‚

Cheers!
    Lyle

Lyle

Just so you know that it can be done … πŸ™‚

This is a simple WP site with GP, GP Premium add ons, WP Show Posts and Lightweight Grid Columns.

Jay

Yes Lyle. However i didnt look in the right place until now Thanks so much for pointing that out.

Jay

I am getting close thanks to all of you..

https://screencast.com/t/S2RaEFAV3f

Lyle

Jay, VERY good indeed! πŸ™‚

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.