[Support request] Mobile Header – Search Icon

Home Forums Support [Support request] Mobile Header – Search Icon

Home Forums Support Mobile Header – Search Icon

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Fabien

Hi,

I am currently moving from Floats to Flexbox.

In order to move the search icon to the secondary navigation, I’ve used the following function :

add_action( 'wp', function() {
        if ( 'enable' === generate_get_option( 'nav_search' ) ) {
            remove_action( 'generate_menu_bar_items', 'generate_do_navigation_search_button' );
            add_action( 'generate_secondary_menu_bar_items', 'generate_do_navigation_search_button' );

remove_action( 'generate_inside_navigation', 'generate_navigation_search' );
            add_action( 'generate_inside_secondary_navigation', 'generate_navigation_search' );
        }
    }, 20 );

It works well. However, when using Floats, the search icon was also visible in my mobile header. It was using the following function : https://gist.github.com/generatepress/38a3d4d0e3f1be118cac76937e4c92e6

How can I bring back the search icon on my mobile navigation ?

Thanks

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

try including this to add it back into the mobile menu:

add_action( 'generate_inside_mobile_menu_bar', 'generate_navigation_search' );

Fabien

Thanks David but I’ve tried and it doesn’t do anything ๐Ÿ™

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

I believe you can modify your existing code to add in the mobile header search.

Example:

add_action( 'wp', function() {
            remove_action( 'generate_menu_bar_items', 'generate_do_navigation_search_button' );
            add_action( 'generate_secondary_menu_bar_items', 'generate_do_navigation_search_button' );

remove_action( 'generate_inside_navigation', 'generate_navigation_search' );
            add_action( 'generate_inside_secondary_navigation', 'generate_navigation_search' );
    	add_action( 'generate_inside_mobile_menu_bar', 'generate_navigation_search' );
        }
    }, 20 );

Thanks David but Iโ€™ve tried and it doesnโ€™t do anything ๐Ÿ™

To clarify: Are you trying to add the search bar inside the slide-out/off-canvas menu instead? Let us know. ๐Ÿ™‚

A wise man once said:
    "Have you cleared your cache?"

Fabien

Nope, I try to add the search icon on my mobile header. Please check the prod version of my site in the comments.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Can you try this instead?

add_action( 'after_setup_theme', function() { // set it up after the theme finishes setup
            remove_action( 'generate_menu_bar_items', 'generate_do_navigation_search_button' ); //remove search on default location "menubar item"
            add_action( 'generate_secondary_menu_bar_items', 'generate_do_navigation_search_button' ); // add the search toggle icon on secondary menu

remove_action( 'generate_inside_navigation', 'generate_navigation_search' ); // remove the search form inside icon on default location
            add_action( 'generate_inside_secondary_navigation', 'generate_navigation_search' ); // add the search form on secondary menu

add_action( 'generate_inside_mobile_menu_bar', 'generate_do_navigation_search_button' ); //add search icon on mobile header
    		add_action( 'generate_inside_mobile_menu_bar', 'generate_navigation_search' ); //add the search form on mobile header
        }
    }, 20 );

We’ve changed wp action to “after_setup_theme” so the action is done once the theme is loaded. We’ve also added the Icon so we can toggle it.

You can clean up the comments if you want. I just left it there so there’s an indicator for you to clearly know what each line does. ๐Ÿ™‚

A wise man once said:
    "Have you cleared your cache?"

Fabien

Awesome, works like a charm !

Thanks Elvin

Fabien

Sorry, actually it works BUT it re-adds the search icon to my primary navigation on desktop (please check URL in comments)

PS : I’d like to avoid extra CSS

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

You’ll need CSS here.

For example:

.main-navigation:not(.mobile-header-navigation) .search-item {
        display: none;
    }
    Fabien

Thanks Tom, I would have like to avoid CSS but it seems there is no other way (it was feasible with Float version).

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

From a technical standpoint, I’m not sure how it would have been possible, unless of course you were hooking it only into the mobile header.

That being said, that’s only 3 lines of CSS, so definitely not an issue when it comes to performance or complexity – CSS is good! ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.