[Support request] mobile friendly

Home Forums Support [Support request] mobile friendly

Home Forums Support mobile friendly

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Drew

Hi, I am having a weird issue with some pages intermittently showing up in Google search console at being not mobile friendly. I only seem to be having this problem with pages created using the default page editor using Generateblocks.
    For some pages I use Thrive Architect, as that’s what I carried over from my previous theme. But for some pages where I converted it from a page created with Thrive Architect to Generateblocks, this is where I am having a problem.
    If i run it through the mobile friendly test standalone tool, it seems to not show a problem.
    But when I run it through URL Inspection > Mobile Usability and Go to “view tested page” then “screenshot” and run a live test, I will sometimes see the errors. I added a link to the screenshot. Any Idea why this could be happening?

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Drew,

Can you have a read on this article and see if your site is in one of the cases:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/text-too-small-to-read-and-clickable-elements-too-close-together/

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Drew

Hi Ying, I read the document and checked my site and on a mobile device and all looks fine. It’s not a speed issue because I have great speed scores due to a fast server and site optimizations. I ran a test on one particular page and sometimes it looks perfect, other times it fails. Is this just Google being intermittent or do I have a legit problem. What’s odd is that pages created with Thrive Architect never fail the mobile test, but occasionally they do using the Generateblocks builder.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Drew,

The testing tool seems to be flagging the pages because of the usage of font icons.

Can you try setting the icon type on Appearance > Customize > General to “SVG”?

Also, can you tell w/ parts of the pages w/ issue uses FontAwesome? Perhaps it can be replaced w/ SVG icons as well.

Drew

Hi Elvin, I changed it to SVG and ran the test 3 times on a couple of pages and that seemed to have fixed it. I don’t get the “page is not mobile friendly” error anymore (so far anyway) so thank you for your suggestion. When I click “more info” I do get this still though – e.x. Page resources 18/31 couldn’t be loaded. Not sure if that’s a concern or not.

As for “Also, can you tell w/ parts of the pages w/ issue uses FontAwesome? Perhaps it can be replaced w/ SVG icons as well.”
    I am not sure how to check that. Would you mind having a look?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

FontAwesome is being used by WP Review Pro plugin.

Can you try temporarily disabling it and check if you still get flags?

As for Text is too small to read and or clickable elements are too close together.

You can try increasing the letter spacing and font size of the site’s content incrementally ’til you don’t get the flag.

Drew

Hi,

I disabled WP Review Pro a few days ago. Are you still seeing it active? Would uninstalling it help? I’m not planning on using it anymore anyway.

I will play with the text size and letter spacing to see if it makes any difference. Currently it’s at 18 but just bumped it to 20.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

I disabled WP Review Pro a few days ago. Are you still seeing it active? Would uninstalling it help? Iโ€™m not planning on using it anymore anyway.

I wasn’t able to spot elements related to it but something it preloading the fontawesome it uses as shown here – https://share.getcloudapp.com/Z4u1b6bR

Perhaps it’s preloaded manually or by an optimization plugin.

I will play with the text size and letter spacing to see if it makes any difference. Currently itโ€™s at 18 but just bumped it to 20.

You can bump the fonts on both customizer settings and GenerateBlocks (if you’re using one). Do it on a test page to serve as a baseline. ๐Ÿ˜€

Drew

Thanks for the tip will work on that. As for wp Review I uninstalled it. Can you see if it’s still pre-loading?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Yes I can still see it being loaded.

If your site is served through a CDN or the host has page caching, you have to clear/purge the cache. ๐Ÿ˜€

Drew

Yes I do have Cloudflare. I deleted the cache. I also have WP-Rocket and cleared that as well. It seems that it is still there. Do you think I might have to either contact the plugin developer or maybe check the plugin folder in FTP to see if it’s still there?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I can still see the preload – i disabled WP Rocket ( using the ?nowprocket query string ) and the preload vanished. So its WP Rocket thats adding it.

Back to the topic – search console is known to throw some false mobile usability warnings – you can get some background from John Muller here:

Drew

So I checked and the plugin is deleted, I also contacted my host (Cloudways) and they assisted with clearing cache on their end as well. But somehow it still lingers and doesn’t want to go away. Any suggestions on next steps?

Drew

Thanks David, I didnt see your response when I wrote the last message. I will do some checks.

Drew

Hi David, I think I found the smoking gun. In WP-Rocket under “preload” I found this.
    After removing the 2nd line the problem went away.
    Should I keep the first line there as well or remove it?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.