[Support request] Migrating GeneratePress without moving the database

Home Forums Support [Support request] Migrating GeneratePress without moving the database

Home Forums Support Migrating GeneratePress without moving the database

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Marc

Hey Guys!

I’m trying to perform a very complicated migration from my staging server to a live server for a client.

Normally, I’d just use a plugin or just replace all the files using FTP, but in this situation, the client wants to keep their database (all of the users, and some other tables). Naturally, this presents a problem when using GeneratePress as all the page data is stored in the DB.

My questions is: How do I migrate a GeneratePress site without nuking the database?

A related question that would probably help me solve the problem is: is there a list of database tables that Generatepress needs to run? If I can just move those over, and leave the rest, I believe this will solve the problem.

Thanks guys!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

The easiest possible way to do any kind of migration is to use a plugin like one of these:
    https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/duplicator/
    https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/all-in-one-wp-migration/

They do all the heavy lifting for you.

Let me know if you have any questions 🙂

Marc

Thanks Tom, though as I mentioned most plugins do a full migration (or a migration without the database entirely).

I’m trying to do something much more complex than that — migrate over Generatepress and the Generatepress database tables(?) into an already-populated database. Does that make sense?

This would be possible if I could know which tables I need to move.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, well you could just use the Import/Export add-on to export all of the GP settings. Or are there different settings you’re trying to export?

Marc

Yeah I’ve done that, though there seem to be page-level settings for Generatepress pages (section data, etc.) . Is that stored in the row in the db for that page?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Ah, things like Sections are stored in the postmeta table in your DB. Each post ID has associated postmeta, so there’s no way to extract only the GP stuff – you would need to extract the entire post (from the posts table) and the associated postmeta for that post.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.