[Resolved] Menu underline that respects the padding

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Menu underline that respects the padding

Home Forums Support Menu underline that respects the padding

• This topic has 15 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by David.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Florian

Hey,
    I want to add a underline to selected menu items.
    This code I found online works:

@media
    (min-width:769px) {
    .main-navigation .main-nav ul li[class*=”current-menu-“] > a {
    border-bottom: 2px solid #ffffff;
    }
    }

but it is much wider than the menu item because it doesnt respect the padding. Can you tell me how to create an underline for selected menu items that are only as wide as the menu item itself?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

we can create a pseudo after element like so:

@media (min-width:769px) {

.main-navigation .main-nav ul li[class*="current-menu-"]:not(.dropdown)>a {
            position: relative;
        }

.main-navigation .main-nav ul li[class*="current-menu-"]:not(.dropdown)>a:after {
            content: '';
            position: absolute;
            bottom: -5px;
            left: 12px;
            right: 12px;
            height: 2px;
            background-color: #000000;
            pointer-events: none;
        }
        .is_stuck.main-navigation .main-nav ul li[class*="current-menu-"]:not(.dropdown)>a:after {
            bottom: 0;
        }
    }

Bottom -5px pushes the line a little below the text, left and right positons are the same as horizontal padding, Height determines it thickness and background-color is its color.

Florian

Thank you, that works!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to be of help.

Florian

Sorry, there is one problem. I use the sticky menu (always visible) and the underline is always placed under the bottom of the menu. It is like that no matter how large I set the sticky menu items’ height.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I edited the code above to include a variation for the sticky navigation – it will now sit on the bottom of the nav bar when stuck.

Florian

Thank you, great! The only thing that doesn’t look perfect is that the sticky menu has a sort of “expand animation” when it appears, and the bottom line has a bit of a delay to that. But if there is no easy fix for that I can live with it.

Florian

Oh, and is it possible to remove that line for a menu item that is a drop down?

Florian

Nevermind, there are other problems like the line disappearing in drop-down menus when I hover over the item below the selected one.
    I think I will leave it for now since this seems all a bit messy.

Thanks anyways! I think this will work perfect for menus without drop downs!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

No problems. I edited the code above to exclude dropdowns in case you want to revisit in the future.

Florian

Ok, so then only 1 thing is left: The line also moves up and down for drop down items, but they never change their size. Is this the correct way to fix it:

.main-navigation .main-nav .dropdown ul li[class*=”current-menu-“]>a:after {
    bottom: 0;
    }

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Do you think it would be better if the submenus didn’t have the underlines? considering they’re not always visible?

Florian

I am not sure what is the best practice here. To me right now it looks correct when they ARE underlined. But I am not sure. Do you think different?
    The code you posted above removes the underline for the dropdown parent item, but they are still visible on the sub items.
    The code I added stops them from moving up and down with the sticky menu.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I think what you have works really well – if you want the line in the submenus to fit the menu item width then you can add a display: inline-block; property inside this rule:

}

ie.

display: inline-block;
    }
    Florian

Now everything seems to be perfect, thank you very much!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.