[Resolved] Menu problems

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Menu problems

Home Forums Support Menu problems

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    NC

My site consists entirely of static pages. I wanted to use posts to provide quick observations to provide tips for clients. I set up an introductory page and added three posts to the menu one level below the page. None of the posts will load in a browser window.

I changed the posts’ status back to draft to make them invisible till I can figure out how to fix the problem. When I tried to get rid of the page, I was reminded that unlike posts, pages can’t return to draft mode.

If I can set up posts subsidiary to a page in the menu system, why can’t I get the posts to display?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Did you receive any errors when trying to access the posts you added to the menu? 404 errors?

You can change the page’s status back to draft the same way as a post by clicking the “edit” link next to “Status: Published” in the “Publish” metabox.

I can’t think of any reason why the posts wouldn’t load, but it will be helpful to know what kind of error you’re receiving.

Thanks,
    Tom

NC

No error. The posts just don’t load. The page to which they’re connected reloads instead.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

So nothing happens when you click the link? It just refreshes the page?

How are you connecting them to the page?

Perhaps try using new pages instead of posts?

Let me know,
    Tom

NC

I’m essentially trying to add a blog within a WP website without creating a subdomain within the site structure and installing another copy of WP/GP in the subdomain. That should be possible (the blog, I mean) without all the extra gyrations, but I can’t figure out how to structure it.

BTW, when I play the video on your home page, all I get is a green screen and the audio. What codec are you using?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hmm, I’m definitely missing something.

Have you tried adding a new page named Blog and going to “Settings > Reading” and setting the posts page to that newly created page?

Then you would go to yourwebsite.com/blog and it would show all of your posts.

Then you could simply add new menu items under your parent item, and link them directly to your blog posts.

The video on the homepage is using HTML5 – what browser are you using (thanks for letting me know).

We’ll get this sorted out 🙂
    Tom

NC

TenFourFox 24.6.0, essentially Firefox 24.6.0 minus support for the demonic state known as Flash. 😉 Your other videos play correctly. I tried another browser (iCab, which is Mac specific) and it, too, showed a green screen.

I think this part

Have you tried adding a new page named Blog and going to “Settings > Reading” and setting the posts page to that newly created page?

Then you would go to yourwebsite.com/blog and it would show all of your posts.

is where I’ve gone wrong. If I set it up this way, will the page called “Blog” display any text of its own or just serve to create an item I can add to the menu?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Good to know – I’ll try to specify a fallback if HTML5 videos aren’t supported.

Once the page is set to be the posts page none of the content in the editor of that page will be displayed – it will only show your blog posts.

Then you can add that page to your menu and it will link to the blog with all of your posts.

Hope this helps 🙂
    Tom

NC

Thanks, Tom. I updated the site in the wee hours of the morning so it didn’t disrupt client access. Your diagnosis and treatment recommendations did the trick. All better now!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.