[Resolved] Menu Effect Customization & Flexbox vs Unsemantic CSS Grid

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Menu Effect Customization & Flexbox vs Unsemantic CSS Grid

Home Forums Support Menu Effect Customization & Flexbox vs Unsemantic CSS Grid

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by David.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Melvin

Hi,

I’m a noob here. All this while, I’ve been relying on page builders like Elementor to build my site. But I want to learn to move away from depending on them and customizing the site myself. And I heard a lot of good things about the GeneratePress. So I’ve decided this is where I’ll start learning. πŸ™‚

Now, I’ve got 3 questions:

1. How do I make the navigation effects to look like this site? A thick border is shown representing the current page, and when you hover over it, it shows another thick border too.

2. I read somewhere that you guys will be moving to Flexbox. Since I’m new to both, should I just ignore Unsemantic and proceed to learn Flexbox instead?

3. With regard to question no. 2, why are you guys moving away from Unsemantic? What about CSS Grid?

If my questions sound dumb, please forgive me. A total noob here. πŸ™‚

Best regards,
    Melvin Neo

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

welcome to GP Premium πŸ™‚

1. This documentation provides the CSS required to add hover effects:
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/adding-menu-hover-animation/

We can help with adjusing the code to match that style if you want.

2. I would proceed with learning Flexbox.

3. Unsemantic was relied upon in the past when browser support for Flexbox was a little shoddy. GP is already using Flex for some of its mobile components and is also used along with CSS Grid in the Woocommerce module. Now browser legacy doesn’t hold us back we can transition 100% to Flex which is far superior to Unsemantic and doesn’t require any additional stylesheets of scripts.

The majority of what the theme needs is better served by Flexbox. There is of course nothing stopping you using CSS Grid and/or Flexbox in your content.

Melvin

Hey David,

Thank you so much for your prompt response. It’s exactly what I wanted! I appreciate you.

I’ll proceed to learn Flexbox then. πŸ™‚

Best regards,
    Melvin Neo

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome – glad to be of help

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.