Home Forums Support Media Folder Addon

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Alfred

Here’s a suggestion not sure how hard it is to implement.

How about an addon that does nothing else that allow to use folders in the media library?

Rather than use the tag the photos approach, that other plugin/addons do, just to be able to navigate folders in the media library would be great.

Thanks,

Alfred

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Sounds like more of a third party plugin kind of idea – a good one though. It might exist?

Alfred

You would think there would be…but there isn’t. About 4 main options, all adding multiple features to try and sell their pro versions. Nothing that just simply adds folders you can navigate (and rename, delete, etc)

Besides, I would always rather have things built in to the theme rather than a plugin that could cause incompatibility issues.

It’s amazing that such simple functionality isn’t built into wordpress itself….

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Might be worth opening up a trac ticket to suggest it for a future WP version? There’s some great minds in there – I’m sure someone is thinking of a way to organize the media section better πŸ™‚

dasigna

definitely there:

real-media-library-media-categories-folders

although not free and not that cheap its by far the best ive found out there and definitely worth the price when having to handle a big amount of media!

cant have everything for free πŸ˜€

but in fact its a shame, that kind of this is no native wp feature!

Alfred

@dasigna

The problem with all Code-Canyon/Envato purchases is that they are per site/domain license.

I know that some workaround that by deactivating once they are done developing a site (assuming the developer is ok with that), but this is something that would be used over and over again on a given site and $24 per site is simply not value for me to me. Especially for something that should be a simple, built in functionality. Plus, I don’t want to be having to deactivate/activate on different sites….

Envato doesn’t allow “unlimited” licenses in it’s marketplace so it pretty much makes them useless IMHO.

dasigna

jep. agree concerning envato and licenses. i myself only uses this when really needed and absolutely makes sense plus customer/ client agrees and takes the fee 😎.
    but i think that is what was asked for …

on all other scenarios i use this one which is not that comfortable, but obviously well maintained and helpful.

i dont think any developer would implement things like these into a theme – its simply not at all theme related.
    its a core extension to wp itself, regardless of theme.

but maybe you might convince tom to build one separate plugin for this. im sure it would be great and quite for sure my first choice too πŸ˜€.

Laura Brown

Having a way to organize media files would be great. I don’t know why this hasn’t been put into WordPress as a feature. So much other stuff they are doing but basics like being able to sort images are skipped over.

I think it is because most people in development aren’t really using the sites they make. So most plugins and features are geared to short term business models without much content. WordPress stopped thinking about long term users who have a lot of content and keep it active for years. Very seldom are plugins made to work on older content, retroactive. Instead you have to go back and hand edit old posts manually. Or not.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.