[Support request] Media-Category Pages wont show

Home Forums Support [Support request] Media-Category Pages wont show

Home Forums Support Media-Category Pages wont show

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    John

Hi
    If I go to media/Categories I can see all my media category descriptions but if I click on “view category” it doesnt show the page.
    It says:-

“Nothing Found
    It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for. Perhaps searching can help.”

I use the media-category pages as landing pages for some important keywords. I have had no problem with other wordpress themes, but they are nowhere near as quick as generatepress.

Thanks
    Best regards
    John

GP Premium 1.6.2
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi John,

Are you using a plugin to add Categories to Media attachments? As this isn’t a standard WP or GP thing.

John

Hi David
    Thank you for the quick response.

I’m probably not explaining it right. Its not adding categories to media its the standard WP media-category.

On the wp dashboard hover over media on the menu on the left hand side then from the subtitles choose categories.

I have all my media-categories set up so normally I would select one by clicking on the title then click on “view category” on the top wp menu.

Normally this would show my media category page but generatepress says:-

“Nothing Found
    It seems we can’t find what you’re looking for. Perhaps searching can help.”

I have some of these pages listing on page 1 for important keywords but now the pages are not available to visitors.

Best regards
    John

John

Hi David

Please see screenshot showing one of the media-category pages on search results.
    http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/1211/5628675682.jpg

second place on organic results.

Best regards

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi John, are you using Foo Gallery / Foo Box plugin?

John

Hi David
    Yes I use foogallery and foobox so that I can get images on the media-category page to all be the same size and look more professional.

I tried just using the wp gallery but it doesnt look very good.

Is there a problem using foogallery with the theme?

Best regards
    John

John

Hi David

I had to add the following line to my functions .php of my child theme to allow foogallery to work with media-categories.

Will this still work ok with generatepress?

Best regards

John

John

Hi David

I deactivated foogallery and foobox and cleared my cache and cloudflare cache and media-category pages still wont open.

Best regards
    John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi John,

i am still a little confused as WP and GP doesn’t have media-category as a standard option. So there must be a plugin or custom function that is creating these. Any ideas?

John

Hi David
    WP does have media-category as a standard feature.

Categories, which are used for posts etc cannot be used for media without a separate plugin though but media-categories are standard on every theme I have ever tried apart from generatepress.

I can only assume because generatepress is such a lightweight theme the developers have removed this standard feature in order to create a faster theme thinking that no one needs it.

I just need to know whether it can be reactivated in your theme and if so how please.

Best regards
    John

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hey John,

WordPress actually doesn’t have categories for the Media Library by default. GeneratePress definitely isn’t removing core WordPress functionality.

That’s what plugins like this are for: https://wordpress.org/plugins/wp-media-library-categories/

Let me know 🙂

John

Hi Tom

Thanks for your reply.

I get that images can’t use “categories” that are used for most wordpress sections such as posts etc without a plugin.

But “media-categories” are not the same as “categories” and they are both definitely a part of a standard wordpress installation.

Please see my screenshots below:-
    http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/1212/7005317847.png
    You can see the media menu on the left hand side provides a category section. This is not facilitated by a plugin its part of wordpress.

http://easycaptures.com/fs/uploaded/1212/6776454980.png
    I can create a media-category and if when I save and open it wordpress gives me the option to view the category via the menu at the top of the screen.

Media-categories are very limited they can only be used for media. They are not related to categories used on posts etc. There is a plugin that synchronises “media-categories” and “categories” but that’s way too complicated for me.

Please don’t get hung up on images. Even if I create a category on generatepress and then just put some text in it and try to view it your theme wont allow you to view it.

Worpress allows images as well as text in its media-categories and every theme I have ever tried works no problem apart from yours.

That’s really frustrating because I really like your theme especially the speed.

Best regards
    John

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Alright, let’s focus on the categories 🙂

What do you have set for permalinks in “Settings > Permalinks”?

John

Post Name

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Can you link me to your site? The URL you provided in your original post isn’t using GP.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.