[Resolved] Marketer theme: Read More button not showing on new posts

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Marketer theme: Read More button not showing on new posts

Home Forums Support Marketer theme: Read More button not showing on new posts

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    John

I just installed the Marketer theme and I like the way the home page displays post excerpts. I added a new post as a test but now the entirety of my new post is showing on the home page instead of an excerpt + Read More button. The original, sample posts still display correctly, so I know it’s not a setting specific to the page itself; it seems like it’s a setting on my post, but I don’t see any option for Read More.

Also, looking at the sample posts, I don’t see any Read More block added within the text, so I figured there must be some global setting that automatically shows X number of characters for the excerpt.

More generally, how can I customize the display of this home page? For example, if I want to adjust the size of the post excerpts and featured images so that more will display above the fold. Thanks.

John

Update: I figured this out partially; my entire post was showing because I had that post set as type “Video”. I changed it to “Standard” and now it’s correctly showing the excerpt + Read More button. However, I’m still wondering what this page is that lists these post excerpts on the Home page. I expected to find a Home page in the list of pages, and that this would be a template that I could edit to adjust things like spacing between the excerpts, but I was wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

Update: I figured this out partially; my entire post was showing because I had that post set as type “Video”. I changed it to “Standard” and now it’s correctly showing the excerpt + Read More button.

Nice one, glad you got it sorted.

However, I’m still wondering what this page is that lists these post excerpts on the Home page.

By default, WordPress sets the Front page or Home page as the blog index page. You can’t edit this page on Gutenberg editor as it’s layout taken directly from the .php templates of the theme. It is automatically generated.

If you want to set a static page as a home page, you can refer to WordPress’ documentation here:
    https://wordpress.org/support/article/creating-a-static-front-page/#how-to-create-a-static-front-page

A wise man once said:
    "Have you cleared your cache?"

John

Thanks for your response. It sounds like, since I can’t edit the dynamic page that WP automatically displays, I need to create a static page and use that instead. Unfortunately, that page you linked to in WP’s documentation is not clear at all (that’s WP’s fault, not yours). This is my goal; maybe you can help clear things up:

I want the new home page to be very similar to the existing dynamically generated page, except that I want to be able to display a paragraph/image/header above the list of blog posts. This is going to be the intro/welcome text for the site. Below that, I want the list of posts to appear more or less as they appear now.

Can I accomplish this using Gutenberg/GeneratePress? I assumed that GP had a “blog” or “posts” widget or something similar that I could add to a container, and that I could put this container below by header image, but that doesn’t seem to be the case. I also have Elementor Pro, so if I need to use that, that’s an option (although I am trying to keep things as lightweight as possible and use only Gutenberg/GeneratePress as much as possible).

Thanks.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi John,

I think Hook element is what you are looking for.
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/hooks-element-overview/

If you are not familiar with html, then Block Element might be a better option, it’s like the visual version of Hook element.
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/block-element-overview/

Here’s a hook visual guide, in your case, I would recommend to use generate_after_header.
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/hooks-visual-guide/

Lastly, assign the hook/block-hook element to Front page.

Let me know if you need further assistance.

John

Thanks, Ying. This looks promising. I started to get what I was looking for using Elementor Pro’s Posts widget, but I’m going to experiment with hooks to see if that will work.

Ying
    Staff
    Customer Support

You are welcome!
    I would recommend to use hooks/block-hooks, since your request is really simple, it’ll be much lighter than using Elementor 🙂

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.