[Support request] Making Theme Faster

Home Forums Support [Support request] Making Theme Faster

Home Forums Support Making Theme Faster

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Praveen

Hi guys,

Are you preparing for some overhauls in the theme for pagespeed? There is a new framework launched by mediavine where people are getting better speeds (after shifting from generatepress). So, if one is getting starting 80s as scores, you get mid 90s as scores on Trellis.

I have an invite to join, but I really like generatepress. Just wondering if you have things in mind for this.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

for sure, in every update we look at wherever it is possible to make performance improvements, which was demonstrated most significantly in GP Theme 3.0.

I had a look at what Trellis are doing, the framework includes Critical CSS and Lazy Loading functions. This in our opinion is best left to a plugin as that provides users with a choice and means the theme doesn’t end up including redundant code ( for example, today people use Lazy Loading Plugins, tomorrow all modern browsers will have this built in …. )

But i had a look at some of the sites that they showcase on their landing page and not one of them i tested had a Mobile Pagespeed score over 80, they ranged from 49 to 77…. some of which were also failing on the new Google Metrics such as CLS…..

Praveen

Of course. I am in love with Generatepress and its support. But somehow mobile page speed of more than 90 eludes me .. even though my page is simple ..

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

I wouldn’t be overly concerned with that. Any Mobile Score above 80 is Great. Pushing above that figure will vary on many factors – some of which are:

1. Server speed – this is also impacted by your server location. Googles testing servers are primarily US based, so unless CDNs are in place if your server is far away you’re going to be impacted by network delays.
    2. Minimising Network Requests – eg. lest plugins, less posts per page in archives, reduce number of images and most definitely reduce the number of 3rd party network requests ( eg. Ad Servers )
    3. Optimizing the size of those requests, eg. reducing image sizes.
    4. Performing vanity metric improvements.

On #4 – a lot of metrics Google measures will have no realworld improvement on the actual site loading. So a lot of work and possible issues can be caused trying to achieve them

Overall optimize your site for your user base, if your users are getting fast loading times and a good experience this will be reflected in Googles real world data… in other words don’t go chasing a higher page speed score if no one will notice the difference.

Praveen

David, I agree. But trust me, when you see your core vitals under Google Search console as red / orange – it becomes a serious issue as it’s an important ranking factor now.

I do appreciate your insights! Excellent .. That’s what I love about you guys πŸ™‚ A Super product with Best support ! A very rare combination

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Any core vital that is orange/red should be addressed. The page speed insights report provides details on each issue which should help you address them.

Glad we are of help.

Praveen

Anything below 90 is Orange πŸ™‚ That’s why I said – I am worried. And that’s why if a theme offers a GREEN Core vitals – its an instant hit!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

GP already delivers on that – you may want to read here:

https://generatepress.com/fastest-wordpress-theme/

No theme is able to magically fix a site that is having issues related to the content, plugins and code or especially the server speed. And going by the tests i did on the Trellis demos, they are a very long way away from achieving that… even with all those optimization functions built in πŸ™‚

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.