[Support request] Lose Navigation Menu Labels when using DAP & has sub-menu items

Home Forums Support [Support request] Lose Navigation Menu Labels when using DAP & has sub-menu items

Home Forums Support Lose Navigation Menu Labels when using DAP & has sub-menu items

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Bradley

I’m using Digital Access Pass as a membership site. It has a feature where it will not show pages the person doesn’t have access to, pages for products they haven’t purchased. LOVE this feature. But once I moved to Generate Press a problem arose… Menu items that have a sub-menu would lose the menu label, it wouldn’t show. All you could see is the down arrow in the navigation menu.

In DAP they have a setting to not filter out pages you don’t have access to. What this does is shows everything you added to the menu and when you’re on the site you see everything even if it’s a page you don’t have access to.

Again, didn’t have this problem with old theme so hoping you can review and resolve this problem. When I presented this to DAP this is what they told me… Unfortunately, the menu protection stuff is very complex, and only works when the menu is created 100% according to WordPress standards. Any custom menu styles and it won’t work. And some themes and plugins have a special way of creating the menus which conflicts with the DAP feature.

Let me know what you need to review this. Please let me know after you’re done being in my site (info in Private Info box) so I can turn the feature off so the menu’s look right again for our users. This is an active site.

Thank you.

Brad

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

thats weird as GP’s navigation conforms to WP standards – so if the plugin developer also conforms there shouldn’t be any issues.

So when i login and visit CPM Training it is presenting me with the Home and Login option and the form to Login in with – do i need a DAP account to see the issues or should i be automatically logged in as an admin ?

Bradley

The login I gave in the Private Info box should also log you into DAP. What I noticed is I didn’t give you access to any products so I gave you access to the main product. I also created you as a DAP member with login info in Private Info box.

How it looks now…
    Labels not showing

How it should look…
    Should look

I sincerely appreciate you looking into this! Thanks.

Brad

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

So should those menu items be completely hidden, or should the titles be showing up?

We’re not doing anything outside WP standards. The arrow you’re seeing is added via a core WordPress filter here: https://github.com/tomusborne/generatepress/blob/2.4.2/inc/structure/navigation.php#L235-L266

It looks like the actual title is being filtered out by something. I wonder if the above function will give DAP any ideas?

Bradley

Those menu’s should NOT be hidden, the labels should be showing.

I sent your response to DAP and hope it helps them resolve problem.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thanks, let me know what they say. The menu in GP is 100% core WordPress – nothing crazy going on.

Bradley

As expected, here’s what I was told…

Hi Bradley,

Unfortunately, there is no way to know why it is not behaving like a standard menu without spending a lot of time troubleshooting it. I’m afraid we’re unable to support any third-party theme or plugin issues. It is a lot of work and troubleshooting involved that could take several hours and that is beyond the scope of our support for DAP.

You could purchase an hour of premium support and we can try to troubleshoot it, but we won’t be able to guarantee any outcome.

Your best options would be to use a different theme, or turn off that feature.

– JC

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That’s a shame, I would have hoped for some basic debugging.

Do you have a staging site you can set up that we can debug with?

Bradley

I’m going to give you my login at another site that I’m currently building where I’m using DAP and GP and having the same problem. This is a consistent problem with any site where I use GP and DAP.

I just did a backup of it so you can go in and do whatever you need to do to trouble shoot this. I’m super excited you care enough to help me with this. I’ll make sure to give you lots of praise at the DAP Facebook group.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Was hoping I could look through their code to see if anything stood out, but it’s a massive plugin with tons of code and files..

I’ve downloaded it to my localhost so I can find things throughout all of the files. Can you give me steps to make the issue happen on my site?

Bradley

See Private Info box…

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I have it installed – not sure if I need a license # for it to be usable? As this is just testing a bug, I wouldn’t worry about license key usage – I have no intention of using their software beyond finding what’s going on here.

If you’re not comfortable with that, I would need FTP information for your test server so I can debug the PHP files – doing so via the WordPress file editor isn’t very reliable, unfortunately.

Bradley

Yes, you’ll need lic #, see private info…

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

So to reproduce this, what do I do? Set a page that’s in the menu to member-only?

Bradley

You need to have a menu with Sub-menu items for a drop-down menu on the main navigation. This is where the problem is.

If you go to… /wp-admin/admin.php?page=dapHome
    Then from top menu to Setup/Config
    Then on tabs go to “WordPress-Related/Sync”
    Then scroll down to “Show Protected Content Settings” and make sure “Show protected (and not-dripped-yet) links in menu?” is set to NO.

If I change this to Yes then I don’t have the problem of the Menu Labels not showing, BUT then the menu shows ALL pages even if the logged in person doesn’t have access to that page and that’s the problem and why I want it set to NO.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.