[Support request] Load More – Archive & Category Pages Not SEO Friendly

Home Forums Support [Support request] Load More – Archive & Category Pages Not SEO Friendly

Home Forums Support Load More – Archive & Category Pages Not SEO Friendly

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Joe

Hi

Just looking at the way you’ve done the load more on archive and category pages looks really good and I would love to implement it on my site, however, it’s not SEO friendly.

Anything after a # Google ignores from an internal linking perspective, so everything after the initial load will not be crawled by Google.

Please can you confirm if you have plans to change this?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

All of the actual pages still exist (/page/2 etc..), so they’re still crawlable.

However, it’s true that Googlebots don’t scroll, so they won’t index all of the posts on your main infinite scroll page. I’m not sure if there’s a way around this, but I’m happy to dig deeper if you know of one ๐Ÿ™‚

Joe

Thanks for confirming, Googlebot would only index them if you link to them. The issue isn’t the infinite scroll, it’s the URL defined on the anchor is #. You could change the anchor.

These guys seem to have a solution, I would love to use your native function on my category pages as it’s less third party plugins.

https://connekthq.com/plugins/ajax-load-more/add-ons/search-engine-optimization/

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

As of right now our infinite scroll options aren’t filterable.

However, they are in GPP 1.11.0, so it will be possible to use their history option.

Once GPP 1.11.0-alpha.1 is out, feel free to bump this topic and I’ll help with the code ๐Ÿ™‚

Joe

Thanks Tom, it may be a good idea to include the noscript option and then load in paginated links in the no script. That’s what the plugin I referred to above seems to do.

That way Googlebot can still crawl the paginated links but give the user an infinite scroll or scroll on click option.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.