[Resolved] List of GP's page templates in create page dialog

Home Forums Support [Resolved] List of GP's page templates in create page dialog

Home Forums Support List of GP's page templates in create page dialog

• This topic has 7 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by David.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Alan Stancliff

I was attempting to create a blog page for my blog posts to land in. So I went to the DASHBOARD > PAGES > ADD NEW. Previously, on the right side, I was always able to find a Pages Attributes box that had a list of page templates.

But with the new layout in WordPress 5.1.1, I could not find a list of page templates. How do I access that?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

which Page Templates were you expecting to see?

Alan Stancliff

At the time I filed my support ticket I was looking for something appropriate for a BLOG page to use as a static page for my blog posts. Of course, I realize that almost any default page would work for that purpose if I turned off comments and ping-backs.

You asked me to state which templates I was expecting to see. That question completely failed to address my clearly stated question, which I posed in both the title of the ticket and in the body of my question.

To repeat: What really concerns me is that when I go to DASHBOARD > PAGES > ADD NEW, the Pages Attributes box with a drop down of templates is missing. I just wanted to scroll through the page templates to see what’s available.

Oddly enough, if I go to DASHBOARD > POSTS > ADD NEW, I see a Post Format drop-down on the right side, listing page templates for posts. Am I missing something? Why is there no similar dialog in the new pages?

Is it possible to do this in GeneratePress on the current version of WordPress, or has that little feature exited out to electron la-la land?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

For the blog page you just need to create and save a static page, and then in Dashboard > Settings > Reading you can select that Page as your Posts Page. There is nothing more required.

GeneratePress does not install any custom Templates. Hence there is no list of them.
    Templates can be created or added by other plugins like Page Builders. That is why i asked what you were expecting to see so we could point you in the right direction.

Post Formats are specifically for the Posts, they are more akin to a Taxonomy / Template and therefore don’t apply to pages.

Alan Stancliff

Dave,
    Thanks for the clear explanation.

To sum up my understanding, GP does not have specific templates in the ADD NEW PAGES dialog. If I wanted to do so, I can add a page builder plugin for that. The ADD NEW POSTS has page templates, but they’re designed more for taxonomy purposes, and pages don’t have taxonomies.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

That is correct.
    Just to clarify Page Templates can be added in many ways not just by page builders, they’re just an example of a plugin that may add to the template list.

If you want to have control over your page layout on an individual basis, say change the sidebar arrangement or the number of footer widgets then you can use:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/layout-metabox-overview/

or better still:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/layout-element-overview/

Both of these modules allow you to change how posts/pages are displayed on an individual or grouped basis.

Alan Stancliff

Thanks Dave.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad to be of help

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.