[Resolved] Link from Button on 1 Page to Text on Homepage

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Link from Button on 1 Page to Text on Homepage

Home Forums Support Link from Button on 1 Page to Text on Homepage

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Linda

Hi Support,

I found a few answers to similar topics in the forum, but my issue is a bit different.

I’d like to have a button on a page return viewers to a certain spot (another button or text above it) on our homepage. I use Gutenberg so Sections won’t work it seems. Also, used Elementor on homepage.

From one post I read, it sounds as if a new CSS class might do it. Can you please help me with what CSS I would need to make it work.

Specifics: “More on The Challenge” homepage button links to “The Challenge” page. I’d like the “Back” button on The Challenge page to link back to where the “More on The Challenge” button is located on homepage.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your help,

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

If I understand this correctly, you’d need to add an ID to the “So Whatโ€™s The Challenge?” section within Elementor (check with their support if you aren’t sure how).

Then modify the button link to https://your-site-url.com/#id-of-that-section.

Linda

Hi Leo,

Yes, you do understand me perfectly. So I’ll go to Elementor to figure out how to add an ID #; then, add it to the link.

Sounds doable. Will get back to you with results once I’ve given it a try.

Thanks for your help … once again!

Linda

Linda

Hi again, Leo,

Hmm. What I did didn’t work. Can you help me figure out why?

I added a #ID to the element on the homepage in Advanced -> CSS ID and saved it.

On button, I added the ID like this: https://mygoforthegreen.com/#1995/; saved it.

Clicking button just took me back to the top of the homepage.

Do I have to add a CSS CLASS as well? It was underneath the ID section in Elementor Advanced Settings, but I left it blank.

Hope this will let you see what I’ve done wrong!

Thanks,

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I could be wrong but I’m not seeing a specific ID added to the Elementor section.

Would you mind checking with their support team first?

If you describe your problem to them, they should be able to tell you exactly where to add the ID ๐Ÿ™‚

Linda

Hi Leo,

Sorry, I didn’t see this until I checked just now. For some reason, the notification email didn’t get to me.

I’ll do what you suggest and get back to you once I have.

Thanks,

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Sounds good.

Linda

Hi Leo,

I’m using only the free version of Elementor so don’t have access to “real” support. Their community help is handled in Facebook, which I avoid.

Searching for answers on their site and in Google gave me the ID# idea I described above. When you said you couldn’t see it, I checked again and found I didn’t save the addition. No wonder you couldn’t see it. Sorry.

I’ve entered it again like this and saved both pages:

Homepage element (More on the Challenge button): Advanced -> CSS ID ->01
      Back button (More on the Challenge page): https://mygoforthegreen.com/#01/

From the research I’ve done it looks as if this is all I have to do. I have done anchor links before in WordPress, but it seems to work differently in Elementor. I’d get rid of Elementor, but it did help me get the page designed more easily!

Are you able to advise on this when it is more of an Elementor issue? I understand if you can’t.

Thanks,

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Are you referring to this section here?
    https://www.screencast.com/t/vGkBD9vWAp

I’m not seeing an ID added.

Linda

Aha, I see why you can’t see it. I didn’t make it clear which element I was referring to. Sorry, Leo.

I created a screenshot with the ID area and homepage areas highlighted, but I can’t figure out how to put it in this message, as you did in yours. It’s a jpg file so I can’t give its URL as the “image” option above wants.

How do I show you the image?

Linda

P.S. I checked source code and found a number assigned by Elementor to the button block. So I tried using that number (674f897) instead of the ’01’ I’d created, but it didn’t work. Phooey … thought I’d figured it out! ๐Ÿ™

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I really don’t know about Elementor to be able to offer more advice here unfortunately.

Anchors aren’t theme related so as long as you’ve set the ID correctly (I would recommend using a word like challenge) then the link of https://YourWebsite/#challenge should lead you to the correct spot.

If that still doesn’t work, please follow up with Elementor’s support to see if they are able to help some more.

Linda

Thanks for trying anyway, Leo. ๐Ÿ™‚

I’ll try the WordPress anchor link way to see if that works. Appreciate your example of how to name it. Will let you know.

Elementor support, unfortunately, is available only through FAQ and docs, which don’t explain in enough detail for me. Still, that’s where I’ll go if the anchor link doesn’t work.

Back to you before too long,

Linda

Linda

Hi again, Leo,

UPDATE
    Please let me know your thoughts on the original question below, although my link issue is fixed! ๐Ÿ™‚

Don’t know exactly what I did differently but I’ve now got the button linking back to the correct spot on the home page. Yay.

In case it will help someone else, here’s what I did:

Clicked on paragraph element in Elementor where I wanted the link on the second page to return to
      Added “more1” in the CSS ID space for that element in Advanced; saved page
      Went to back button on second page and added “#more1” to the button’s URL (https://mysite.com/#more1); saved

Success! Maybe it worked because I was linking to a paragraph element on the home page instead of a button??

Original question
    (for future interest/need)
    As someone more “tech best practices aware” than I, could you please answer this question re. a possible work around to the anchor link issue …

If I have the linked-to page open in the same tab as the home page, would a user expect to use the browser back button to get back to the home page? I could add a browser back button icon.

Or is this poor UX and would not be understood or, worse, would irritate users?

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this when you have a few minutes.

Many thanks,

Linda

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

I really can’t say what other users would feel but I just use the back button on my mouse when I want to go back a page…

Linda

Thanks, Leo. That’s what my partner said, too. I was just looking for additional input! So now our users have 2 options: back button on page to anchor text or browser back button.

Have a great weekend,

Linda

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.