[Support request] License activation

Home Forums Support [Support request] License activation

Home Forums Support License activation

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mike

Hi,

I get a timeout when trying to activate GP Premium. Not had a problem with this host before – other sites activated fine. Before I contact them / troubleshoot further is there anything wrong at your end please?

cURL error 28: Connection timed out after 10001 milliseconds

thank you
    Mike

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

Can you go through the steps here first?
    https://docs.generatepress.com/article/curl-error-28-connection-timed-out/

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike

Hi,

the hoster has confirmed no restrictions in place on loopback and I have been able to curl to https://generatepress.com from the console via SSH.

I’ve added URLs / IPs to the first post above, is there anything else I should check? I appreciate it could easily be a problem on the server end, but two of these sites were previously running fine, and then when adding a third I got the timeout. So I went to check if previously activated sites would re-activate and they didn’t.

Any further ideas please?

thanks
    Mike

Mike

Hoster’s support extended the curl timeout to 2 minutes and now the timeout occurs at 2 minutes (120001ms) with the same error.

I then installed a completely fresh WP on a spare domain, installed GP, then the Premium plugin – and got exactly the same problem as before. That’s about as vanilla as I can make it…

Server ip ending in 166 as per the details in the first post.

I appreciate I could install updates manually but the client won’t want to be doing that nor do I. This was working fine so I’m keen to get it working again.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Just to confirm, is the IP you’ve added as the URL the IP to your server? I’ll check with our host to make sure it’s not blocked.

Let me know ๐Ÿ™‚

Mike

Hi Tom, yes those two IPs are the IPs of the servers with the issues.

the hoster is 20i.com – big here in the UK and very helpful.

thanks,
    Mike

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

I just checked with our host (Kinsta) and they confirmed that neither IP is banned by our server.

Can your host run a traceroute to see if it offers any clues?

Mike

OK – whilst “curl https://generatepress.com” returns a result, and “ping http://www.yahoo.com” returns a result, “ping generatepress.com” isn’t working. traceroute returns “send: Operation not permitted” in both cases. The fact that I can ping yahoo.com and not generatepress.com seems ominous but if I can use curl to get a response that’s a bit weird?

I have noticed automatic WP update has just failed on that server as well…

Mike

Despite the ping issue, I have checked a number of other sites with my hosting and they are all now reporting similar errors in the wordpress site health – so I will get back to you once I get an answer to this. in the meantime do you think lack of a ping is a problem when CURL does get a response?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I’m afraid I’m not a server guy, so I’m not 100% sure. I know that our server is as open as possible to incoming requests for this very reason. If the server IP isn’t internally blocked on our end, the block must be coming from the other end.

Mike

Thanks Tom. So what I’ve discovered is that the host doesn’t block loopback requests and so on, but they do redirect and rate limit them to ensure that their shared hosting is protected from rogue plugins and coding errors. That’s fair enough. What that does mean is that the WP site health plugin erroneously reports errors, so that’s not helpful but again I can see why it happens.

One thing that would help is if you could share, if you’re prepared to, the URL format of the API call that would be made by the activation so that could be tested from the command line rather than through wordpress itself?

thanks,
    Mike

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Of course! The plugin uses wp_remote_post() to communicate with https://generatepress.com using these parameters:

array(
        'edd_action' => 'activate_license', // This tells our server to activate the license.
        'license' => $your_license_key, // The key we're activating.
        'item_name' => urlencode( 'GP Premium' ), // The product we're activating.
        'url' => home_url() // Your URL.
    );
    Mike

Hi Tom,

the hoster has asked that you investigate the IP I’ve now put into the url slot in the first post in this thread: 45.x.x.175 – that’s where their requests will originate from apparently and they believe it’s being blocked. Please could you ask Kinsta to check? I’ll also ask them for evidence to share. If needs be how can I post some information to you more securely?

thanks
    Mike

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Mike,

Can you try now? Should be good to go.

Mike

Hi Tom,

that’s worked, thank you very much. My hoster’s support team has done a lot of work on this, based on the troubleshooting article GeneratePress has that directs this towards problems with the hoster. And yes, there are very good reasons for that. However in this case I would at least like to go back to them with some answers as to why this is now working, presumably for some reason the IP concerned was not getting access to your API via your hoster. Given how much work they’d done, I really would like to explain to them how that happened and what the actual problem was… specifically why was their IP address not allowed? Or was there a different more generic problem actually?

On their side, I’m going to ask them to provide a list of IP addresses that could be checked first up, and on the GP side it would be great if there was a way to stop this being so much of an issue in the future for everyone.

Could you let me know your thoughts on that?
    cheers and thanks again,
    Mike

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.