[Resolved] Let a page automatically adopt the featured image of it's first child

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Let a page automatically adopt the featured image of it's first child

Home Forums Support Let a page automatically adopt the featured image of it's first child

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Florian

I use the following custom post type to redirect certain pages to their first child page. Is it possible to add something so it also adopts the child page’s thumbnail? Preferably in a way that it also automatically updates if I ever change it.

<?php
    /*
    Template Name: Go to first child
    */
    $pagekids = get_pages("child_of=".$post->ID."&sort_column=menu_order");
    if ($pagekids) {
    $firstchild = $pagekids[0];
    wp_redirect(get_permalink($firstchild->ID));
    } else {
    // Do whatever templating you want as a fall-back.
    }
    ?>
    Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Looks like that code redirects you to the child page automatically. Wouldn’t that child page already have the featured image set?

Florian

Yes, but I need the parent to have the same featured image as part 1 because the parent page gets displayed in the sidebar together with its thumbnail.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

How are you displaying the parent page in the sidebar?

Florian

A plugin displays a random subset of child pages of /tutorials/android
    Sometimes these child pages contain single videos -> the thumbnail is displayed
    But sometimes these child pages contain their own child pages (because it’s a video series with multiple parts), in which case the parent doesn’t have a thumbnail on its own.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It would likely need to be an option inside the plugin then, unfortunately. You can check with the developer if such a thing is possible.

Florian

So a page can not adopt the thumbnail of another page? I really thought that would be possible.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

It can, but it needs to be coded into the output. If you’re using a plugin to output the post, the code needs to be inserted into the plugin, or there needs to be a filter available. That’s where the plugin author should hopefully be able to help.

Florian

Ok thanks, I will contact the plugin author then!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.