[Resolved] Jquery removal

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Jquery removal

Home Forums Support Jquery removal

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Simon

Hey guys,

I would like to stop Jquery from loading. I have removed the stick navigation, is that the only setting that causes the theme to include “sticky.min.js”?

The only other instance of jquery i have is in WPshowPost, that only loads on the home page. It uses Jquery: “jquery.matchHeight.js”

Any idea on how to stop that?

And lastly, does the theme load jquery if it’s not using it? I read a few posts that seem to change over time.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

Yes, the sticky navigation option is the only reason sticky.min.js will load.

As for the WPSP question, try this PHP:

add_action( 'wp_print_scripts', function() {
        wp_dequeue_script( 'wpsp-matchHeight' );
    } );
    Simon

Perfect.

Thanks Tommo. I think that should work but due to so many levels of caching, no idea if it actually worked πŸ™‚

I have GP Premium, will I need to dequeue jquery on the font end manually or should it just stop loading?

And if i should do it manually, do you have a function for that?

Cheers,
    Simon

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

with the sticky navigation switched off GP will not enqueue jQuery – so not action required.

Simon

Awesome!

Thank you David.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Glad we could be of help

Simon

Hey Guys,

So I have cleared the cache, and waited a few days for good measure. But both the matchHeight and the sticky.js files are still loading… I am at a loss for how to solve this.

I tried turning off the WPshowpost and GPPremium plugins and the files go away immediately.

Any ideas?

Simon

Just FYI. I used a plugin called Perfmatters to force stop these files running, but i would like to get to the bottom of what is causing this to happen for me.
    Do you guys experience this on your installs?

Simon

Oh, and sorry to keep bombing you guys with questions. I also noted that on the GPPremium Blog Categories it uses Jquery somewhere. Is it the infinite scroll?

Edit: I see that it is. I decided to keep Jquery on those pages because I really like the infinite scroll.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

sticky.js will only load if a sticky navigation is set (main navigation or mobile header).

Masonry and infinite scroll use jQuery (no way around this, unfortunately).

Simon

Ahh there was a sticky under mobile header!!! Sorry totally had no idea about that one.

Thanks Tom. Fixed everything… Well it seems the dequeue code i used for the matchHeight didnt work, but maybe that has to do wit the fact that it only runs on the home page.

Thanks so much for all your help.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No problem! We’ll be removing that file from WPSP soon anyways. Perfmatters is a great plugin to have πŸ™‚

Erik

Hi there,

I would also like to dequeue the “wpsp-matchHeight” script from WP Show Posts, but the code below doesn’t work:

add_action( 'wp_print_scripts', function() {
        wp_dequeue_script( 'wpsp-matchHeight' );
    } );

I enqueued another script inside the same code block above just to test the block actually runs. It does, but the “wpsp-matchHeight” script doesn’t get removed.

The question is … why doesn’t this work?

Elvin
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi,

You can try this instead (wp_enqueue_scripts):

add_action( 'wp_enqueue_scripts', function() {
            wp_dequeue_style( 'wpsp-matchHeight' );
    }, 100 );
    Erik

Thanks for the prompt reply, Elvin πŸ™‚

Unfortunately, that doesn’t work … but I now know why … and I have a solution … although it’s moot now. I’ll explain everything πŸ™‚

I took a look at the wpsp_display() function in wp-show-posts.php.

Dequeuing “wpsp-matchHeight” through wp_enqueue_scripts, wp_print_scripts, etc won’t work because those hooks have long since been executed by the time “wpsp-matchHeight” gets enqueued.

I ran a test to display wp_script_is('wpsp-matchHeight') using the wpsp_settings and wpsp_wrapper_atts filters I spotted in wp-show-posts.php.

These two filters run before and after the line that enqueues “wpsp-matchHeight” respectively.

As expected, the first filter obviously doesn’t work (too early).

But the second filter works (or any other hook that runs after “wpsp-matchHeight” gets enqueued), and that’s how/where I dequeued the redundant jQuery-dependent “wpsp-matchHeight” script.

All of that being said, this issue is now moot because of the following (which I found after figuring things out):

Tweak: Remove matchHeight.js

https://wpshowposts.com/wp-show-posts-1-2-0/

I installed version 1.2.0 and all seems to be working nicely πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.