[Support request] Issue with Yoast breadcrumb

Home Forums Support [Support request] Issue with Yoast breadcrumb

Home Forums Support Issue with Yoast breadcrumb

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Malcolm

I’m having trouble showing the complete hierarchy of pages in my location breadcrumb. See https://malagaeast.com/nerja-caves-of-nerja/ (I’m using Yoast’s breadcrumb plugin).

I think it should show: Home > The Villages > Coastal > Nerja >Where to visit>Nerja caves

I’ve read that breadcrumbs don’t work with all themes. However, as part of my breadcrumb seems to be displayed, I don’t think that’s wholly the case with GeneratePress.

Any ideas, what might be going wrong (or what I might be doing wrong!)?

Regards
    Malcolm

GeneratePress 2.1.2
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Malcom,

go to the Yoast > Search Appearance > Bread crumbs tab and then look for: Taxonomy to show in breadcrumbs for content types. Here you can add Categories to your Posts.

Malcolm

Hi David

Thanks for that, but I had already put that one in… I wonder whether it’s one of the other fields that I’ve left blank (i.e. under both ‘Taxonomy to show in breadcrumbs for content types’ or ‘Content type archive to show in breadcrumbs for taxonomies’)? At the moment they’re just reading ‘None’.

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Malcom, can you check you have the latest version of Yoast?

Malcolm

Hi David, Yes, I’ve just updated to version 7.5.1

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Malcom, sorry for the delay, i wanted to check to see if there were any update issues, for me i cant replicate the problem, can you try #1 here:

https://docs.generatepress.com/article/debugging-tips/

If the issue still persists you may need to raise a support ticket with Yoast

Malcolm

Hi David

I turned off all the plugins as suggested, but doing that meant that Yoast’s breadcrumb didn’t show up because I put it on the page via a widget in Elementor, the page builder I use! When I turned Elementor back on, the breadcrumb was as before, so I guess that might indicate that Elementor is the problem.

I’d be surprised if Elementor’s clashing with one of the major plugins on the market – Yoast – though. I’ve been quite happy with Elementor so far, it seems to have played nice with all the other plugins – in fact the reasons I got GeneratePress was on the recommendation of Elementor!

I’m not sure how to test if Elementor’s the problem though… (I tried turning on SiteOrigin Page Builder and turning off Elementor, but everything on the page just disappeared!). Ahh!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You can try adding the breadcrumb code to the GP Hooks – use the after header hook

Malcolm

That sounds way beyond my pay grade, I’m going to have to research that one!

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

OK, so make sure you have hooks activated, under Appearance > GenearatePress. This will give you the Appearance > GP Hooks menu.

Look for the After Header Hook. And add this code:

<?php
    if ( function_exists('yoast_breadcrumb') ) {
    yoast_breadcrumb('
    <p id="breadcrumbs">','</p>
    ');
    }
    ?>

Check the Execute PHP and Save. Then let us know the result.

Malcolm

OK, thanks, will get back to you with the results in the morning!

Malcolm

Sorry for the delay David, the weekend got in the way!

I’ve put the code in that you suggested. While I’m happy that I don’t now have to keep putting in the Yoast widget into every page to enable its breadcrumb, it’s still not showing the full hierarchy…

I really don’t understand why it doesn’t work in the same way as the top menu which clearly follows the hierarchy of pages? Or am I missing something?

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Malcom, i set up a new test site, using the following settings:

Settings > Permalinks:
    Common Settings: Post Name
    Optional: Category and Tags bases both left blank.

SEO > Search Appearance:
    Categories left as default
    Breadcrumbs, Show Blog Page Enabled, Taxonomy to show in breadcrumbs for content types, only Post (post) is set to Category. Rest as default.

Can you text or confirm these settings?

Malcolm

Hi, I can confirm that these are now my settings. No change to appearance of the breadcrumbs on my site though…

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Malcolm, apologies but i have exhausted all my ideas on this, I would recommend you raise a support ticket with Yoast.

Let us know

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.