[Resolved] Is there a possibility to undo all of the changes done to my style.css ?

Home Forums Support [Resolved] Is there a possibility to undo all of the changes done to my style.css ?

Home Forums Support Is there a possibility to undo all of the changes done to my style.css ?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Tom

Well, I did a mistake of doing all of the changes to my website directly in the style.css file, and now with the new update, all of them are gone.

Then, I tried to redo all of the stuff that was there before the update, and I manage to screw the whole website up. I was wondering if there’s any way to retrieve the old style.css before the update, or at least undo the latest changes I did after the update.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Tom,

Ah, that sucks – I’m sorry.

When adding custom CSS, it’s best to use a child theme: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/adding-css/

Unless you took a backup of your website before the update, I’m afraid your CSS is gone.

You can undo the latest changes you made by changing the version number of the style.css file back. Go to “Appearance > Editor”.

At the top you’ll see a bunch of data – about half way down, you’ll see: Version: 1.3.06

Change that to: Version: 1.3.05

This will tell WordPress you have an old version, and it will allow you to update to the latest – which will re-add all of the core files.

Let me know if you have any issues – sorry for the hassle!

Tom

Well, the whole website is backed up on another service, but I am not sure if that helps with anything ?
    Since I would not like to lose my posts since the backup was performed, but I could really use the old .css

I tried this suggestion about changing the version, but it did absolutely nothing.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

What kind of backup is it? Database and files or only database? If it’s files as well, you should be able to extract your style.css file.

Changing the version number should prompt WordPress to install the latest version – can you not see the update in “Dashboard > Updates”?

Tom

I honestly have no idea, I just get an e-mail once a week that a backup has been performed.
    It’s a regular HostGator backup, if that helps. I can look into it tomorrow, it’s too late now to do any brain activities. πŸ™‚

I can not see an update. This is what the style.css file looks like now; http://gyazo.com/78bf9de23e8061b3285130bc8c2bfbf9 – And there is no update notifications.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Maybe ask Hostgator if they can help you out – they should know how to extract specific files from the backup.

Grr, in that case you’ll have to update manually.

1. Switch to a default WordPress theme.
    2. Delete the version of GP you’ve edited.
    3. Re-install a fresh copy: https://generatepress.com/knowledgebase/installing-generatepress/

You may have to re-set your theme location in “Appearance > Menus”.

Let me know πŸ™‚

Tom

Well, I just woke up, opened the website, and the update for the theme was there. Not sure how or why it wasn’t there last night.

Could you just help me out with some codes to make the website look like it did before the update ?
    I need to remove the blog author, date, tags and category from showing. And reduce the space between the page title and the regular text. ( http://gyazo.com/7200a5c4d76fc3bf987828b254715c8d – Big gap below “Home” )

This time I will do it in a .css plugin, that should keep the changes forever.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Easiest way to remove those elements is to use our Blog add-on – it has the option to hide the author, date, tags and category.

If you’re not interested in that, I should be able to provide some CSS.

As for that big gap, I’d have to see the site – that gap is pretty huge, so I’m guessing there’s something else going on there other than the regular spacing.

Tom

Well, I am not able to purchase all the add-ons right now, but I will in the near future.
    But as of right now, if it’s not a big problem for you, I would prefer the .css version.

Yeah, once we hide the category, date, author and tags stuff, I can re-publish the website and then we can sort the gap out, it’s not that big of a deal. πŸ™‚

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No worries – give this a shot:

.entry-header .entry-meta,
    footer.entry-meta {
          display: none;
    }
    Tom

Thanks man, that worked perfectly. This time I wrote it in the .css plugin, so it should not get erased with a theme update. πŸ™‚

Here’s the website link, if you can help me figure out how to fix the gap problem.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

That gap is due to the

tag you have entered.

You can offset the gap on the homepage with this:

.home .entry-content {
          margin-top: 0;
    }
    Tom

Thanks, it worked for the Homepage. What about the rest of the pages though ?
    If I remember right, the last time I managed to fix it for all pages at once by changing one of the margins from 40(top) and 20(bottom) to 20(top) and 0(bottom), but I can not remember which one it was, and the last time I tried to do that, I managed to screw the whole website up. πŸ˜€

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

This will apply to all pages:

.page .entry-content {
          margin-top: 0;
    }
    Tom

Thanks man, you are absolutely amazing.
    I will definitely be looking to purchase the add-ons very soon. Not because I need, but because I want to give you something back for all this help with the website.

Cheers. πŸ™‚

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 24 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.