[Support request] Incompatible plug-in: Custom Sidebars

Home Forums Support [Support request] Incompatible plug-in: Custom Sidebars

Home Forums Support Incompatible plug-in: Custom Sidebars

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    NBC

I attempted to implement the plugin Custom Sidebars so I could display different sidebar content on a page-specific basis. When the setup instructions didn’t match what I saw in WordPress, I posted a support question. When it became clear that I was following their instructions but not attaining the expected results, the developers eventually asked what theme I was using.

The upshot is that their plugin is incompatible with GP, or at least with the combination of GP and GP Premium.

Here’s the discussion thread for anyone who’s interested, before I remove the screenshot images I posted in response to questions.

Roberto Enrique

If you’re talking about this one: https://wordpress.org/plugins/custom-sidebars/

I can confirm that it works with GeneratePress, at least in its PRO version.

You can see that here:

http://onepager.artomultiplo.net/sidebar-one/

Roberto Enrique

I’m following the thread at wordpress.org and will make a couple of tests.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I just tested it myself and everything worked as it should.

I tried it on a regular page, and on the static front page with no issues.

Any chance you have a wrong setting somewhere maybe?

Let me know πŸ™‚

NBC

You can see the results I got on the screenshots I posted on the plugin support forum. I did everything they suggested, but no joy. What would be the likeliest place to look for an incompatible setting

Please don’t take this as any kind of negative on my part against GP/GP Premium! I only posted this here so others could avoid the problem I had.

I’m not in a position right now to invest in the Pro version of their plugin. I’m looking at other alternatives.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

No worries at all! Sometimes these weird things can happen.

Any chance you can send me temporary login details through the contact form on this site so I can take a look myself? I should be able to figure it out for you πŸ™‚

NBC

Hi, Tom:

I’m developing this redesign under localhost, so the site isn’t accessible to anyone except me.

I’ll be happy to check any settings you suggest.

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Here’s a quick video showing how I’m getting it to work: http://screencast.com/t/KOq7WoYe

Let me know πŸ™‚

NBC

Here’s what I get in an attempt to duplicate your progress.

1. Global settings screen, showing that the page is set up to take a right sidebar.

2. Widget settings, showing that I’ve created the custom sidebar and designated the standard right sidebar for replacement.

3. Definition settings, showing that the new sidebar has nowhere to go.

Given your comments to the developers about how the plugin operates, I’m becoming less and less interested in making this work. I’ve found three alternatives, among which I’m having a really tough time making a distinction.

A. Easy Custom Sidebars

B. Sidebar Manager Light

C. Simple Page Sidebars

It’d be great if I could figure out which is best. <smh>

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Personally I just use Display Widgets: https://en-ca.wordpress.org/plugins/display-widgets/

It’s always worked great for me πŸ™‚

NBC

In the context of the Display Widgets plugin, does “hide” mean that the sidebar content is served up to the page but concealed from the viewer, or does it mean that the data for hidden sidebars does not reach the page?

If it’s the former, that sounds like a lot of wasted information.

I know that page content can be hidden until a click or some other trigger reveals it, so it seems possible that the plugin just covers up the sidebar.

And I don’t want to just hide the sidebar: I want to swap it out on specific pages.

Does that make sense?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Display Widgets removes the widget from the page entirely – it won’t just hide it πŸ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.