[Support request] Image size slows website – Serve scaled images (GT Metrix)

Home Forums Support [Support request] Image size slows website – Serve scaled images (GT Metrix)

Home Forums Support Image size slows website – Serve scaled images (GT Metrix)

• This topic has 3 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by David.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Bob

I’m new to GeneratePress.

My website (Dispatch – using your child theme) is being slowed by the size of the images, and I want to know how to fix it.

I have scaled the featured images to 1170px to match the container size. When I check the page speed with GTMetrix I keep getting awful scores for “Serve Scaled images” section.

The offending images appear to be the ones in the right column under the featured image. Image optimizing plugins don’t seem to help.

Is there an optimal size to use for the featured image so as not to have the issue regarding serving scaled images… something that works for all sizes using in Dispatch?

Please advise how to fix this.

One more thing… I’ve tried to remove the dates from the blog posts, but the boxes I’ve unchecked (layout>blog>display post date + WP Show Posts) having to do with the dates doesn’t do the trick. How do I remove dates displayed for blog posts?

Regards,

Bob

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi Bob,

If you edit that list which is displaying in the sidebar, you should be able to set image sizes that work for the sidebar directly in the settings. That way you won’t have the large images scaling down so much.

As for the dates, you’ll want to disable those in the list settings as well. The Customizer controls the GP posts, but it can’t control the WP Show Post lists.

Let me know if you need more info 🙂

Bob

Hi Tom:

I apologize in advance… I’m not well versed in WordPress (and I’m new to GeneratePress), so I’m a bit confused when you mention edit in “lists.”

How exactly do I navigate to find those lists? What am I looking for to edit the lists? The more specific the better for me.

Sorry for being so slow in understanding. I lack your experience.

Regards,

Bob

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

you will find this post useful:

https://gpsites.co/dispatch/using-wp-show-posts/

TLDR: The site uses WP Show Posts plugin, which is in Dashboard > WP Show Posts > All Lists. You need to edit the lists with the word Sidebar in the title.

And this document explains the images sizes in WP Show Posts:

https://docs.wpshowposts.com/article/images-overview/

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.