[Support request] Image Re Sizing – Hard Crop

Home Forums Support [Support request] Image Re Sizing – Hard Crop

Home Forums Support Image Re Sizing – Hard Crop

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    John

Hi, using GP premuium, Beaver Builder. And Pivot.

I am trying to get three images in a row to be the same size. Selecting Medium, I’m getting same width 300 but I’m getting varying height (assume proportional).

I’ve set 300×300 in Settings – Media and ticked crop thumbs to exact dimensions.

I’ve also added and run regenerate thumbnails as I’ve changed the theme.
    Regen Thumbs says:

Thumbnail Sizes
    These are all of the thumbnail sizes that are currently registered:

thumbnail: 150ร—150 pixels (cropped to fit)
    medium: 300ร—300 pixels (proportionally resized to fit inside dimensions)
    medium_large: 768ร—0 pixels (proportionally resized to fit inside dimensions)
    large: 1024ร—1024 pixels (proportionally resized to fit inside dimensions)

Am I right in assuming these settings are overriding the hard crop instruction in Settings – Media?
    Are these image sizes being dictated by the theme?

And if so how can I change them. Is it good practice to use the Media Library to do all the resizing.

Sorry if this is basic. Just would be great to finally understand how to have control over the images. And if not possible, to make peace with that. (:

Big fan of the theme and site library!

Thanks, John

GeneratePress 2.1.3
    Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi there,

I’m not quite sure if I understand.

I do always find it easier to crop the image using a photo editing software before uploading then I can just use full size whenever I’m inserting into the page.

Let me know if this helps at all ๐Ÿ™‚

John

Hi Leo

Thanks for getting back.

I’d like to get 3 images in a row to display the same size. (I’ve got the row split into three columns)

I understand when you upload an image to the Library WP creates a number of image sizes automatically. I thought these ‘thumbnails’ sizes could be edited in Settings – Media.

I also thought a ‘theme’ like GP might automatically create ‘thumbnail’ sizes. Which overides the WP settings. (That was what I thought regenerate Thumbs was referring to when it listed thumb sizes.)

Thanks for your tip. Just to clarify – Are you recommending its a good idea to upload all images edited to the Full size you want and then let WP do the rest?

Thanks again.

John

John

PS I use Lightroom so can edit no problem. Just unsure what size to edit each pic. As some are smaller product shots and some headers. thanks

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi John,

always best to upload an image at the maximum size it is going to be displayed.
    If it is going to be used in multiple instances then look at regenerating thumbnails to suit.

E.g a 1200px wide hero image may also be being used in a 3 column row of say 400px width.
    So you could upload a 1200px (for the hero) and then regenerate your thumbnail medium size to 400px.
    WP will then do the rest.

Its worth considering this when designing layouts so sizes are normalised throughout where possible.

John

Hi David

Thank you. Really helpful and I’m now doing that. And will use Regenerate Thumbs too.

Can I ask, In the above example am I right to assume I would set the 400px max width for medium in Settings – Media. Or is this something that the GP theme would set/override. I ask because when using GP and Pivot I’m being offered a number of image sizes including square.

And in what circumstances would you recommend selecting hard crop in Settings – Media.

Thanks

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi John,

can you check the link you added to the first topic post, as it looks like its a local link.

John

Hi David

Sorry, it is a local dev site (local by flywheel). I’ve not put it live yet.

Hope that is clearer.

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

So best thing is to calculate out the width of the row you are building within, deduct any margins you have for your column gutters and then divide by three. For the general site where the container width is 1200 – 1300px, the default 300px medium size is usually correct.

John

Hi David,

Thanks.

John

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

You’re welcome ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.