[Support request] Idea: Implement CSS’ New “content-visibility” for Dramatic Performance Boost

Home Forums Support [Support request] Idea: Implement CSS’ New “content-visibility” for Dramatic Performance Boost

Home Forums Support Idea: Implement CSS’ New “content-visibility” for Dramatic Performance Boost

• This topic has 18 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by 93487u5tr938ouh4trnos8fyoh.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    David
    Staff
    Customer Support

No point in applying it to the back to top as this has a fixed position – so although it is hooked after the footer it should be displayed way before that is ever reached.

There have been reported issues with earlier versions of Chrome ( patched in Chrome 90 ) that content-visibility rules being applied to Landmark elements caused problems with the accesibility tree – so assistive technologies would not see them. So landmark elements such as <nav> ( which includes the #nav-below ) and <footer> should be excluded.

For archives you would apply it to the individual post.

You can find a list of issues of the CSS3 Working draft git – see here:

https://github.com/w3c/csswg-drafts/search?q=content-visibility&type=issues

How many other issues that may arise, i don’t know… its why its best to tread carefully when applying any working draft or experimental CSS.

acela

Thanks David!

I have implemented this on my site and it is making a real difference on reducing rendering times and improving CWV scores.

I found this video helpful in better understanding how content-visibility: auto; works:

David
    Staff
    Customer Support

Great to hear that and thanks for sharing!

93487u5tr938ouh4trnos8fyoh

If it’s really that good, can’t we make this as an option in the theme itself for non-developers like me?

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.