[Resolved] I am wanting to redo my website… plus maybe a child theme

Home Forums Support [Resolved] I am wanting to redo my website… plus maybe a child theme

Home Forums Support I am wanting to redo my website… plus maybe a child theme

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rodney

Hi,
    I am wanting to redo my old wordpress website. It is not using a child theme. The theme I have now is called creativo and is about 3 years old.
    I am wanting to know if I can use a child theme that wp crafters has. Adam says that he worked with the developers at generate press?

I also need to know what I should do? I don’t plan to use all the original content on my site. Should I do a fresh install of wordpress? Or should I just change the theme and update to the newest version of wordpress?

Thanks for the help

Leo
    Staff
    Customer Support

Hi Rodney,

See info on child theme here including downloading a blank one: https://docs.generatepress.com/article/using-child-theme/

I would just activate GP theme and GP premium plugin then remove the contents you don’t want after.

Let me know if you need more info πŸ™‚

Rodney

Thanks

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

The child theme I made for Adam is pretty specific towards LifterLMS, so if you’re using that plugin it might be helpful.

Otherwise I would just go with the blank child theme (if you’ll be adjusting templates). If you’re not doing any code modification, a child theme might not even be necessary for you.

Rodney

So, do you just use the child theme blank?

Are do you need to add code to the blank child theme?

I plan to use generate press with elementor.
    So I may not need this but I am not sure?

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I doubt you even need a child theme. They’re only useful when adding custom page templates (requires coding) or altering existing templates.

CSS and PHP snippets are much more common and can be done using plugins.

Rodney

Thanks Tom

I also want to say I love the way ya’ll keep improving the theme!

Awesome job!!!!!

Thanks for the help

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Thank you! πŸ™‚

Paul

> The child theme I made for Adam is pretty specific towards LifterLMS,

Tom, i’m trying to get GP/Premium/LifterLMS combo working but running into some issues. Specifically, when the course catalog is displayed it shows a sidebar even though the page is set to no sidebars. I’ve contacted lifterlms support and even given them a login and they can’t figure it out. I added their ‘standard’ code to make their sidebars show on specific course and lesson pages but that doesn’t seem to affect the ‘courses’ (course catalog) page.

Can I get a copy of the child theme you made? Or any other pointers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

Hi there,

This should help: https://generatepress.com/forums/topic/our-old-friend-lifterlms/#post-446562

Let me know πŸ™‚

Paul

thanks, i’d already done that. what i figured out is that lifterlms has a regular ‘page’ for the archive of courses, perhaps to allow content at top, but when i set the GP sidebar layout option for that page it’s ignored by GP because GP’s using the Blog layout setting, not the page setting. the GP blog layout setting does the content width depending on if there’s a sidebar (as you would know!) BUT lifter’s template is what’s being used, and that always outputs the sidebar regardless :} so to get a full width courses archive, i had to set GP blog layout to content/no-sidebars AND clone the lifterlms/templates/loop.php into my-child-theme/lifterlms/archive-course.php and comment out the output of sidebars. fugly, but works.

Paul

ah, touchdown…

making this simple mod in the template makes the courses page behave with GP blog layout settings

<?php
    // comment out lifter sidebar code
    //do_action( ‘lifterlms_sidebar’ );
    // use GP one instead
    generate_construct_sidebars();
    ?>

Tom
    Lead Developer
    Lead Developer

I wonder if you could do this instead:

add_action( 'lifterlms_sidebar', 'generate_construct_sidebars' );

That way you wouldn’t need to change the template.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.